PDA

View Full Version : what woodworking blogs do read

dan sherman
08-27-2009, 2:47 PM
What woodworking blogs does everyone like to read?

The wood whisperer, and Christopher Schwarz are at the top of my list.

John Harden
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Could be that people don't really read them much. Personally, I don't read any blog's, WW or otherwise.

Nothing against them. Just too busy with work, family, hobbies, etc...

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2009, 11:38 PM
FOLKS,

DIRECT LINKS TO WOODWORKING FORUMS OR BLOGS VIOLATE THE TOSs......Terms Of Service.

Please refrain from posting direct links.

Thanks!

dan sherman
12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Maybe I'm just irritable tonight, but I don't understand this Ken.

How does posting a link to someones woodworking blog violate the terms of use, as it says nothing about blogs? One other thing, I have always wanted to know, is what is so sacrilegious about posting a link to another forum?

3. External Linking
Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are
encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing,
generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed
to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.

FOLKS,

DIRECT LINKS TO WOODWORKING FORUMS OR BLOGS VIOLATE THE TOSs......Terms Of Service.

Please refrain from posting direct links.

Thanks!

Alan Schaffter
12-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Maybe I'm just irritable tonight, but I don't understand this Ken.

How does posting a link to someones woodworking blog violate the terms of use, as it says nothing about blogs? One other thing, I have always wanted to know, is what is so sacrilegious about posting a link to another forum?

I've always wanted to know that too. What is the difference between including a link (text) and a direct link (html) to a forum?- the end result is the same. If the reader wants to go there, he can. Is this some sort of internet security thing I am unaware of? After all, as the SMC TOS state "Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged." Isn't a forum a "website"? What am I missing, other than this is Keith's railroad and he can run it like he wants?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Dan,

In discussions in the Moderators Forum, it was decided that blogs are private forums....The TOSs states that links to other public or private forums are not allowed.

2ndly, it would be a nightmare to try to moderate and validate that a given site didn't contain advertising.

Please feel free to PM Keith Outten about this to get a definitive answer. Do so especially if you disagree with my opinion and actions.

I will tell you that Keith has said very specifically that moderator actions will not be discussed in public.

I am closing this thread for this evening. I will invite other Moderators to give me their opinion. If they disagree with me, I will reopen this thread tomorrow morning.

Keith Outten
12-17-2009, 7:04 AM
We have discussed this issue a number of times. Blogs are web sites and thus are covered in our TOS in several areas particularly the area of generating traffic.

Another reason we don't want links to other web sites/blogs is that we don't want The Creek to be polluted with advertisements in our Forums promoting other peoples sites. Can you imagine having to wave through 200 new threads per day of blog announcements, it would destroy our woodworking forum.

Links here are valuable and that is how we pay the bills and keep all of our woodworking forums accessible for free. Advertisers won't pay us to host their banner ads if they can promote their products here for free.

I just spent a lot of money for a new state of the art server that is probably 30 times faster than this one. How can I pay for new hardware, software upgrades and the labor costs to run the largest woodworking forum on the Net if people here give away my product?

For years The Creek was advertising free, we paid the bills with donations and the rules here weren't as strict concerning links. The majority here decided two years ago that they preferred advertisers pay the bills so we had to make some changes. If you go back through our archives and research the subject you will find that I was against commercial advertising here at SawMill Creek. I wanted The Creek to remain free from outside influence of any kind. The majority here felt differently and refused to pay 50 cents per month to support our financial needs so I was forced to convert The Creek to a commercial venture. Free access here is based solely on my ability to market advertisers.

We still have about 5% of this Community who support The Creek financially by making donations. Their access is guaranteed here because I am loyal to those who helped us pay the bills for so many years and I appreciate their continued support to this day.

Keith Outten
12-17-2009, 1:23 PM
Links to other Forums.

Suppose someone placed a link in a post here to a public forum and later that particular thread on the remote forum went sour. Suppose the language got real salty and it turned into a real flame war.

We have young woodworkers here and ladies and more than just a few gentlemen. We can't police every link to make sure they are appropriate for everyone here. If we connect The Creek to a sewer the waters here will not be suitable for swimming :)