PDA

View Full Version : Why does vinegar stop heartburn?

Rich Engelhardt
08-27-2009, 2:02 PM
Hello,
I tried it and by golly, it works!

What I can't figure out is why?

Heartburn is too much acid right?
How can ingesting more acid help?:confused:

Dan Ewalt
08-27-2009, 3:23 PM
Basically vinegar is a "shot" of acid to the stomach and it tells the stomach to stop producing so much acid. So although being acidic is actually slows the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Mother nature..... go figure. :)

phil harold
08-27-2009, 7:46 PM
why is red cayenne pepper good for ulcers and stops bleading when you cut your finger with out burning?

Jim O'Dell
08-27-2009, 9:56 PM
why is red cayenne pepper good for ulcers and stops bleading when you cut your finger with out burning?

The second part of that question is easy...your finger doesn't have any taste buds. :D:D:D:D But I have no idea how you'd get any to your stomach for the ulcers. I guess you could get some of the make your own pill capsules and pack some in.:rolleyes: Jim.

Gene Howe
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
The second part of that question is easy...your finger doesn't have any taste buds. :D:D:D:D But I have no idea how you'd get any to your stomach for the ulcers. I guess you could get some of the make your own pill capsules and pack some in.:rolleyes: Jim.

Cmon, Jim. Cayenne isn't all that hot. As a Texas boy, you've surely tasted hotter. 'Course, a couple single malts first helps.
Gene

Dave Ogren
08-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Actually heartburn or acid reflux, as I understand, is your body saying that it does not have enough acid to process the food.
Heartburn only shows up when your body is trying to process food. The acid content of vinegar (5 %) is about the same as your stomach.
You will notice that people who take an anti-acid when they start to eat have to keep taking it at every meal. Totally backwards from what your body wants, but insures the sales on anti-acid tablets.
It is said that the best is organic, apple cider vinegar, with mother. I don't know what that has to do with the acid content.

Good luck,

Dave

phil harold
08-28-2009, 4:42 PM
cayenne pepper has a numbing effect
ever notice people that eat hot food need more pepper over time to get it to taste hot like it did the first time
the numbing and blood stopping are cayenne pepper traits that help ulcers when you just add abit to your food when you eat it

and there is cayenne pepper capsules too...