PDA

View Full Version : Any Thoughts on Wanye Dalton Garage Doors

Dan Mages
08-27-2009, 1:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Wayne Dalton Garage Doors. I have been quoting out new doors for our house and so far they come up as the most competitive offer, considering warranty, insulation R-Value, opener, etc...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dan

Al Wasser
08-27-2009, 1:59 PM
Our new, now 11 yr old house, has the Wayne Dalton openers and doors. I have no complaints and the little service I have needed has been prompt. Ours is a three car garage. The 2 car side get opened a lot and the opener has done fine. We did need to replace one of the door panels last year. I can't compare the doors, openers, and service to another operator since this is the first power doors we have had in a house.

Bruce Page
08-27-2009, 2:49 PM
Been happy with mine. I love the idrive lift.

They were a huge improvement over the old doors.

travis howe
08-27-2009, 2:53 PM
We have two of them... not bad but there is better. The biggest issue which may not be for all of them is that the spring is built inside of a tube and if they break they aren't fixed too easy.

Jason Beam
08-27-2009, 2:56 PM
I have two - one on the shop, which is a garage that'll never see cars and the other on my shed. Both fully insulated and sealed nicely. I'm 1000000% satisfied with my doors. I'm told that they're top of the line.

Mine has a standard spring - nothing at all proprietary.

Dan Mages
08-27-2009, 3:36 PM
The other big question by The Secretary of the Treasury is the price difference between R11 and R15 models. What difference will we see between the two models. Will it give us significant energy savings in this unheated space?

Thanks

Dan

Jason Beam
08-27-2009, 3:51 PM
Hard to say on that one ... the easy answer is "more has to be better" but I don't know how much better ...

When I had mine put in, I specifically requested a good seal and that they make it as tight as possible. The guy did a fantastic job and I think the blocking of airflow has a lot to do with it. My door faces north, so I'm not sure I worry too much about the R value - but if it were facing south, i'd certainly want the most insulation I could get.

Jim Rimmer
08-27-2009, 4:11 PM
My door faces north, so I'm not sure I worry too much about the R value - but if it were facing south, i'd certainly want the most insulation I could get.
May be just the opposite between your location in Ca versus OP in CT. He may want to protect against north wind where I guess you are staying away from southern sun exposure. :rolleyes:

Jason Beam
08-27-2009, 5:03 PM
May be just the opposite between your location in Ca versus OP in CT. He may want to protect against north wind where I guess you are staying away from southern sun exposure. :rolleyes:

I hadn't thought of that, Jim. Though, I would think a northern wind would make a good seal more important than the R-value, but I'm far from an expert. That said, if the extremes are on the door-side, I'd go for as much of both as possible! :D

Chris Damm
08-28-2009, 8:34 AM
The other big question by The Secretary of the Treasury is the price difference between R11 and R15 models. What difference will we see between the two models. Will it give us significant energy savings in this unheated space?

Thanks

Dan

If it is unheated go with the cheaper one. If you aren't putting any energy into the space how can you save any?

Dan Mages
08-28-2009, 9:07 AM
If it is unheated go with the cheaper one. If you aren't putting any energy into the space how can you save any?
Directly over the garage are two bedrooms and a bathroom. By using an insulated door, I spend less money on heating those rooms and less on heating hot water that will get colder on its way to the bathroom.

Dan

Jim Becker
08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Good door company for the product. The key is the installer...as always.

Karl Brogger
08-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks

Dan

How much of a price difference? I can't imagine it would be too much, but I've never bought a garage door either. If its just a matter of a few hundred dollars, I'd spring for the better insulated model. The savings will probably be small, but comfort is worth alot too.

Barry Richardson
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
We bought our house new 5 years ago. It came with a Wayne Dalton I-Drive door installed. Initially, I liked the concept, but it turned out to be very "buggy" . It was very touchy about being in ballance, and I was constantly adjusting it. At one point it stop working all together. It was under waranty so I called the company. The lady had me do all sorts of trouble shooting things and dissasembly on the phone, the phone tucked under my chin, tools in my hands, on a ladder, very anoying. Turns out it was a blown fuse. It was hard to get at, located internally on the circuit board. Got that fixed but it still wanted to stop half-open or reverse itself. I ran through all the recommendations in the troubleshooting guide several times to no avail. I finally stopped using it since the entire garage has became my shop now, I just manually open the door when necessary. Maybe they have some of the bugs out of this model by now. Like I said, I like the concept, but they will have to improve a lot to be as reliable as the old style openers. Sorry for the rant, but your question brought back painfull memories:o.

Neal Clayton
08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
less on heating hot water that will get colder on its way to the bathroom.

Dan

that door salesman must be a good one if he can get you to think about somehow magically saving money on hot water that's already hot ;).

Ben Franz
09-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Been happy with mine. I love the idrive lift.

+1 on the idrive - no motor hanging out in the middle of the garage space. I had this brand of door installed on a few client jobs and no problems. I think Dalton has a line of simulated carriage style doors that aren't bad looking and lots cheaper than some of the high end doors.

Dan Mages
09-02-2009, 8:56 AM
+1 on the idrive - no motor hanging out in the middle of the garage space. I had this brand of door installed on a few client jobs and no problems. I think Dalton has a line of simulated carriage style doors that aren't bad looking and lots cheaper than some of the high end doors.
I looked into some of the carraige style doors, but they won't bee seen as the garage is on the side of the house and they will not go well with our 1950's tri-level ranch.

that door salesman must be a good one if he can get you to think about somehow magically saving money on hot water that's already hot ;).

Nope. The salesman did not pull anything on me. It is common sense. A pipe filled with hot water will seek equilibrium with the cold temperature of the garage and the temperature of the water next to it.

Dan

Tom Welch
09-05-2009, 3:46 AM
Wayne Dalton makes a quality product. I know I used to work at the factory in Pensacola Fl. (In the maintenance dept) They made a cheaper door for contractors and did not put their name on it. I can rember all the scrap doors that went to the metal scrap yard for one small flaw or another. We used to buy the door sections for 3 cents a pound (what they got from the scrap yard) My father in law's work shop has them on the outside as siding. Come to think of it, my dad has his shop done the same way. If I was buying garage doors, I would only buy Wayne-Dalton. Good luck.:)