PDA

View Full Version : A Small Goblet

Rob Cunningham
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I turned this from a piece of maple that the guy I bought my lathe from gave me. There is some interesting grain in it. It's kind of stubby, but that's all there was to work with. I finished it with a few coats of de-waxed shellac. Critiques encouraged. Thanks for looking

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2009, 5:09 PM
Rob - you are right - sure is some pretty wood! As far as form - I probably would have a smaller foot and a thinner stem area - but that's just me!

If you have the time - a couple of dimensions would put things in a better perspective.

Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Good looking goblet. I would also have made the stem more delicate and the foot slightly smaller. Just me though.

ROY DICK
08-27-2009, 9:47 PM
The wood and top part of the goblet are both great. I agree with Steve and Bernie on the stem and foot though.

Roy

Rob Cunningham
08-28-2009, 5:30 PM
The goblet measures 3 3/4" tall,and 3" dia. at the widest part of the cup. The stem is @ 7/8" dia. The base is 2 3/4" dia.
I agree that the stem is too thick, but with such nice figure, I was a little afraid to go smaller and possibly lose it:eek:. As I continue to turn I'm sure my confidence and skills will improve.

Jarrod McGehee
08-30-2009, 1:41 AM
i'd make a thinner stem also.