PDA

View Full Version : Beis splitter

Chuck Fischer
09-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey I didn't want to hijack Rob's gloat post, he mentioned that he just got a Beis splitter. I was thinking of putting one of these on my wishlist but ran across a few posts here and other places that really said some nasty things about them. What do you guys really think. I have a jet 10 inch contractor saw with a thin kerf Forrest WWII blade. I took the original guard and splitter off first thing. Didn't like them, but the more I think about a splitter, the more I think I would like to have one. Eventually I will do an overarm guard too, but for now its a bit out of my price range.

Chuck

Lloyd Robins
09-11-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi! I wouldn't want to work without a splitter. The Beis won't work with a thin kerf blade. That said, mine works well. It is easy to remove and replace. It is a bit of a pain to put on (the instructions aren't great), but once on I haven't had to mess with it.
By the way, I think that the Penn State overhead guard is on sale, or you might want to make your own. Good luck.

Dan McLaughlin
09-11-2004, 5:56 AM
I also have the Bies Splitter on a Delta Contractor. I like it. Not too much of a problem to install and very easy to use. I only had one thin kerf that I didn't use much so it wasn't much of an issue.

Rich Konopka
09-11-2004, 7:14 AM
Chuck:

I am using the MJ Splitter and the Grr-Ripper and really like them. There are tons of reviews out there. In Fact, Chris Dehut did an excellent video on it. I was very skeptical in the beginning. Very reasonable price.

http://www.microjig.com/Reviews/Product%20Review%20MJ%20Splitter%20-%20Bernie%20Hunt.htm

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/grr-ripper

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/safe-5a.htm

HTH

Tyler Howell
09-11-2004, 7:46 AM
Still very new. The Bies has has been painless, literally. No kick back and after 100s of board feet of oak trim, no scratching on the surface of the lumber by the spring loaded pawls.

They had me scratching a little on installation, but I found my answer with other hardware provided by PM.;)

Dick Parr
09-11-2004, 9:01 AM
Love my Bies Splitter on my Grizzly. It's a good investment.

Waymon Campbell
09-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Love my Bies Splitter on my Grizzly. It's a good investment.

Ditto for me. I have the Bies splitter and the PS Overarm Dust Collector/Guard on my Griz.

I would not start my saw without the two!

Carole Valentine
09-11-2004, 10:25 AM
If you have a thin kerf blade, you cannot use the Beis or the MJ splitter. I use the Delta Removable Splitter (which can be used with thin kerf if I wanted to) and the MJ splitter. The Delta splitter is only $30 and works like a charm, but I don't know if it can be used on a Jet (I have a Unisaw) Whatever you do, definitely use some sort of splitter, even if it is shop made!

Jim Becker
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
I have a review of the Biesemeyer splitter on my site. As others have stated, it will not work with thin-kerf blades. It's designed for normal 1/8" kerf cutters.

Chuck Fischer
09-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a 1/8 blade because its easier with the Incra TS-III to figure widths out on the fly faster, so I wouldn't be overly heart broken if I had to get another Forrest Blade... I might try another brand though just for kicks, the Forrests are expensive after all... yet in my opinion they are amazing blades.

Thanks for the advice and the links. I haven't been woodworking long and I know that without a guard and a splitter I am playing with fire. As careful as I am I'm sure its a matter of time before something bad happens.

Thanks again guys,
Chuck

Byron Trantham
09-11-2004, 1:07 PM
I had a WWII thin-kerf and sold it so I could use the Beis splitter. The thing is utterly a joy to use. Easy-on, easy-off. :D

Joe Scarfo
09-11-2004, 10:51 PM
I guess I'm the only guy who doesn't like theirs.... I've often considered selling it.

Good luck w/ your choice.

Joe in Tampa

Brad Schmid
09-12-2004, 12:38 AM
Chuck,

On the contrary, Biesemeyer does make a snap in splitter for thin kerf blades. I have one on my Jet and use it in combination with a Forrest WW2 thin kerf. I bought it at "The Cutting Edge" in Houston last year. It works well. It measures .099 on the dial caliper, the blade tooth tips measure at .109, the body is thinner.

Part #: B78452
description: JWTS-10 / PM 64A / K Splitter
price: $124.99

Brad

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Brad, that part number is listed on the Biesemeyer web site (http://www.biesemeyer.com/safety/index.htm) but the page, itself, indicates "no thin kerf" in the text above the table. Interesting that your measurements are what they are. I wonder if they purposefully made it thinner without acknowledgement?

Joanne Adler
09-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Brad,

Your post says this Bies splitter will work on the PM 64A saw. The Bies site specifically says it does NOT. I have a 64A and have been searching for a replacement splitter like the Bies. Anyone have this saw and have one? And an overhead guard to replace the annoying stock guard/splitter combo?

Joanne, who is tired of bolting the guard/splitter on and off

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Joanne, call Biesemeyer during the week and see what they can help you out with.

BTW, are you and the gals playing at the art's festival in Doylestown coming up??

Brad Schmid
09-12-2004, 1:24 PM
Jim & all,

You're right, the description does not indicate thin kerf.

I, like everyone else always thought they didn't make one. That's the nice thing about having a good local supplier where you can touch the "stuff" before you buy it. I can only report the facts as I've experienced and seen first hand :)

Joanne - I obviosly can't test it on a PM 64A, I can only go by the label.

Here's the label on the box, luckily I saved it or you all think i'm smoking exotics :D

Brad

Anil Kalagatla
09-12-2004, 1:55 PM
[This is my first post, but I've been a long time lurker]

I got the Bies splitter for my Grizzly 1023 (model 78-961), but I am not able to figure out how it fits the saw. Any tips on fitting this to the saw are most welcome (pictures would be even better :-)

Thanks
Anil

Gene Collison
09-13-2004, 3:18 PM
Chuck,

On the contrary, Biesemeyer does make a snap in splitter for thin kerf blades. I have one on my Jet and use it in combination with a Forrest WW2 thin kerf. I bought it at "The Cutting Edge" in Houston last year. It works well. It measures .099 on the dial caliper, the blade tooth tips measure at .109, the body is thinner.

Part #: B78452
description: JWTS-10 / PM 64A / K Splitter
price: $124.99

Brad

Brad,

Yes, the Forrest will work ok with the splitter because it exceeds the thickness of the splitter. But most thin kerf blades are around .093, that would make it a really hard push.

Gene

Brad Schmid
09-13-2004, 4:46 PM
Brad,

Yes, the Forrest will work ok with the splitter because it exceeds the thickness of the splitter. But most thin kerf blades are around .093, that would make it a really hard push.

Gene

Gene,

I currently do not have any other brand thin kerf blades to compare or measure, but I imagine tooth widths would vary among manufacturers by a few thousanth's so one might encounter what you describe. On the upside, I imagine a few minutes on fine grit emery taped to a smooth surface with the splitter body would make short work of a few thousanth's. The steel seems to be of pretty mild variety.

Maybe others could measure some of their thin kerf blades and post blade tooth widths so we can get a better idea. I suspect the 3/32 (.09375")designation is used fairly generically.

BTW - the blade body measures .075, no problem there.

Cheers,
Brad

Gene Collison
09-13-2004, 6:45 PM
Gene,

I currently do not have any other brand thin kerf blades to compare or measure, but I imagine tooth widths would vary among manufacturers by a few thousanth's so one might encounter what you describe. On the upside, I imagine a few minutes on fine grit emery taped to a smooth surface with the splitter body would make short work of a few thousanth's. The steel seems to be of pretty mild variety.

Brad,

Yes you could do that but I think it is cad plated which means if you removed the plating it would be subject to rust. It's probably better to stick with a Forrest TK if you want to use a TK blade.

Gene