PDA

View Full Version : Hardboard question

Dustin Lorenz
08-27-2009, 9:05 AM
I have a local Menards and they only stock hardboard with one smooth side. Now I know that hardboard does exist with two smooth sides I just can't find any around here. I tried calling the closes Home Depot (which is a good hour away) and the guy gave me the huh answer when I asked if he could check so I got mad and hung up. :mad: So I was wondering if anyone knows if there local Home Depot or Lowes normally stocks it. If so I'll give them another chance on the phone with hopes I'll get a slightly more knowledgable person.

Prashun Patel
08-27-2009, 9:32 AM
My HD stocks it 2-sides smooth.

Gene Howe
08-27-2009, 9:49 AM
My closest HD (also an hour away) stocks it. So does Lowes, across the street from HD. The local Lumber yard is hit and miss. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but they will order it.

Dustin Lorenz
08-27-2009, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, will have to take a ride this Saturday and get a few sheets.

James Gillespie, Jr.
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
My HD only stocks one smooth side. The Lowes stocks the smooth both sides. YMMV.

Peter Kuhlman
08-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I have looked for years here and never found the smooth-both-sides stuff. Supposed to be tempered hardboard. Might be only available in certain parts of the country - sure not here in Louisiana.

Dan Friedrichs
08-27-2009, 4:35 PM
I've also never seen 2-side-smooth at either borg in the Denver area - just one side smooth.

glenn bradley
08-27-2009, 5:10 PM
My HD and Lowe's glaze over when I ask about service tempered hardboard. Fortunately the local lumber yards carry it. Hardboard comes in different grades (types?): service grade, standard and tempered. Markings on hardboard panels indicate the grade: two green stripes for service grade, one green stripe for standard, one red stripe for tempered. Service tempered-grade hardboard is marked with two red stripes. Service tempered is smooth both sides and pretty tough stuff; bends without breaking, dimensionally stable and all that jazz.

Matt Ranum
08-27-2009, 5:26 PM
Around here the tempered hardboard is smooth only on one side, and the softer hardboard is smooth both sides.

:confused:

glenn bradley
08-27-2009, 5:38 PM
I think by "softer" hardboard, you may be referring to thin MDF which is manufactured differently than service tempered hardboard.

Matt Ranum
08-27-2009, 6:05 PM
I think by "softer" hardboard, you may be referring to thin MDF which is manufactured differently than service tempered hardboard.

When I bought it I was looking for tempered and all I could find at the time was "hardboard". I bought a sheet and used a small chunk of it, thats been a couple years ago now and the rest of it is sitting in the rack yet waiting for a project its suitable for. Is it a form of mdf? I don't think as I use that quite a bit, but it could be I suppose. I have since used the tempered several more times where I need a wear resistant surface.

Alan Schaffter
08-27-2009, 6:47 PM
Lowes and HD around here only carry the single sided hardboard in 4x8 sheets, but HD had dual smooth sided stuff in their "handi panel" bins. I think the largest size may have been 2'x3' or 2'x4'.