PDA

View Full Version : henry taylor kryo?

nathan chandler
08-27-2009, 12:11 AM
i just received a new batch of turning tools. i decided to try the henry taylor kryo's from craft supplies/woodturnerscatalog.com some of the tools are labeled kryo (gold label) while the others feature the red dyamic label. the steel does have that gold dark gray patina, said to be indicative of kryo. they also all feature the black ferrule with the green dot.

anyone have these or experience this same issue? what do your kryo's look like?

David Walser
08-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Nathan,

Give the folks at CSUSA a call. They can answer your question. They've always been good to work with -- at least that's been my experience.

Mike Minto
08-27-2009, 12:32 AM
ya gotta keep an eye on these companies - i bought one from "pw" and they sent me a spindle gouge of a material other than what i ordered - i kept it, but it was a slightly less expensive tool than i paid for...mike

Jeff Nicol
08-27-2009, 6:55 AM
Not sure but they may have some older and newer tools and the labels have changed. Not sure so you will still have to ask Craft Supplies.

Jeff

Ken Glass
08-27-2009, 8:37 AM
Nathan,
I don't know the answer either, but Craft Supplies is one of the best for tech support. They are both well informed about their products and will bend over backwards to please, so call them and I am sure they will have a reasonable answer/solution.

robert hainstock
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Henry Taylor Tools are proud to announce a significant advance in the performance of turning tools with the introduction of our new Kryo range; building as it does on our 170 year reputation for fine woodworking tools.http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/gifs/tran1.gifhttp://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/gifs/kryo.gifhttp://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/gifs/tran1.gifThe Kryo range takes the already superior M2 High Speed Steel to new heights of performance with a ground breaking metallurgical processing technology. Unlike the hard surface coating (e.g.Titanium Nitride) of blades that diminishes as it gets worn away, the Kryo treatment significantly improves the strength, hardness and wear resistant characteristics throughout the tool.
Kryo treatment is an advanced cryogenic technique that changes the structure of the whole blade; put simply a blade is subjected to a complex immersion procedure at very low temperatures (as low as minus 195C) to produce an ultra fine harder (martensitic) structure, supported by fine carbides.
In practical terms this means wear resistance and therefore the retention of a good cutting edge, is increased by at least 2 to 3 times longer than would be the case, even for M2 high-speed steel tools.

You may have gotten a better deal. One could hope. Looking forward to seeing what htey can do. :)
Bob

nathan chandler
08-31-2009, 9:31 PM
i called craft supplies and they claimed some of the tools were packaged wrong, but their engineer claimed they were kryo. i've sent emails directly to henry taylor but i am yet to hear back. buyer beware.