PDA

View Full Version : Well, that didn't work

Michael Weber
08-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Mounted my cyclone to an outside wall on a wooden frame attached to the studs. You can feel the wall vibrate. What was I thinking!:confused: Very loud outside of course. Sigh. Back to the drawing board.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Michael,

I'll go take a look at mine. I have a 3HP Oneida mounted to the wall with a metal frame.

I've been outside when it was running and it wasn't too loud. Inside it's a different story. I don't hear a lot of vibration, however. Mine is mainly a "Whoooshing" sound of a large volume of air being moved.

I don't remember if I shocked mounted the metal frame to the wall or not.

I'll go look. If I shock mounted it, I reply in another post.

Dave Wagner
08-27-2009, 7:36 AM
Put some rubber insulators between the bracket and wall or where it mounts to the cyclone absorb some of the vibration. An Auto parts store probably has the rubber bushing for sway bars, suspension, etc....

Michael Weber
08-27-2009, 8:43 AM
Ken and Dave, thanks for the suggestion about isolation mounts. I'm thinking just trying to make the stand free standing. A real PITA either way.

Jamie Buxton
08-27-2009, 9:44 AM
I'm with Ken. My cyclone mostly makes a big swooshing noise -- no vibration. The one time it has done a vibration-type thing, the cause was hand-plane shavings which had gotten wrapped around the impeller to unbalance it.

Doug Shepard
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I used vibration isolators everywhere on mine and all I get is the air woosh sound. I even went so far as to put threaded inserts into the rafters, then vibration isolators into those, and hung the duct straps from the isolators. Probably paranoia but I didn't want to find myself wishing I'd done it later. McMaster-Carr has a big selection.

Steve Kohn
08-27-2009, 1:00 PM
+1 on McMaster-Carr isolation bushings.

Harold Shay
08-28-2009, 3:09 AM
You may want to check the balance of your fan. I bolted my fan housing and motor direct to stud wall and I have no vibration only the aforementioned whooosh sound. On the outside there is only the the whine of the blower pushing the air.
Harold

Michael Weber
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
You may want to check the balance of your fan. I bolted my fan housing and motor direct to stud wall and I have no vibration only the aforementioned whooosh sound. On the outside there is only the the whine of the blower pushing the air.
Harold

I was thinking that last night. The fan is an old Cincinnati blower I picked up from an auction years ago for a song because it had a 3 phase motor. I'll look around on the web and see if I can find a proper procedure for balancing.