PDA

View Full Version : 2 new tool handles on old files, first thimble

Mike Minto
08-26-2009, 5:41 PM
you can tell the files are old - finally got around to making handles from them - walnut. the thimble is big leaf maple burl - they are kinda hard to make. enjoy! mike

curtis rosche
08-26-2009, 5:42 PM
what is the thimble for? or was it just a fun thing to make? nice work

Ted Calver
08-26-2009, 6:28 PM
Thimbles are to protect fingers when hand sewing...seems kind of old fashioned until you realize how many people still honor the craft

Walt Caza
08-26-2009, 7:58 PM
Hi Mike,
Nice work... care to take a rookie to school?

How the heck do you hold a thimble for turning? Too cool.

Do the files just bang into a snug hole?
Or is there some glue too?

I think your file handles are handy and handsome.
Would love to make some.

Thanks for the peek,
Walt

ps Anyone care to tell me what purpose a ferrule serves
on a homemade turning tool handle?
I saw that you can make them from copper pipe.
(sorry for hijack)

Mark Burge
08-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Walt, When I have made handles, I just fit the tang into a snug hole as you said. There is no need for glue if the hole is sized right. The ferrule is to keep the wood from splitting where the tang enters the handle. It is most useful on items that will take some abuse, like chisels. Yes, you can make a ferrule from copper pipe, but I found that a copper compression ring does a very good job and is already tapered nicely so it makes a prettier looking tool. I'll try to get a picture of what I made up sometime soon.

Mike, I didn't mean to hyjack. I really like your tools. I have never tried a thimble, but it looks like it might be a lot like making finger tops. I am guessing that you finish the outside, then hollow, then sand, then part off the top. Yes?

Mike Minto
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
walt, mark - the thimble is just something i'd been wanting to try for possibly selling at a craft show, if i ever get around to participating in one. anyway, i bought the carbide drill bit that CS sells just for this purpose (expensive!). you start by chucking up a small blank in the headstock, rounding and facing it. then drill to depth with the bit mounted in the tailstock, and shape the thimble as much as you can mounted like this. then mount at the headstock on a shop-made jamb chuck (instructions on CS website in ad for cutter) and finish the end. sand, and apply finish of choice (i did it off-lathe by dropping it in a small amount of Antique Oil and rolling it around. wiped off, and viola! hope that helps, mike

Brian Kent
08-27-2009, 1:47 AM
Maybe Mike was just Thimble-minded that day:rolleyes:?

Jeff Nicol
08-27-2009, 6:33 AM
I have a guy wanting a bunch of thimbles for his shop to sell. He has a lot of ladies looking for wood thimbles so you have inspired me to get some done!! I have been busy cleaning up the shop making room to get my CNC router table built, and I have tons of nice little pieces of highly figured wood ready for the small projects! Did you get the pre made bit for the inside taper? I think that would make it much easier, I will most likely make one of my own. On the file handles I need about 30 of them!! Lots of files have been collected over the years!

Thanks and keep up the great turning!

Jeff

Mike Minto
08-27-2009, 6:55 AM
jeff, yes, i bought the thimble cutting bit from CS; i can see how one could do it without, but this does make it easier, even though it 'chatters' some in use (could just be my Jet mini on it's stand, on a wood floor). i have ruined a couple - the thin walls damage easily. don't be too agressive. (jeff, what can you sell these small things for, if you don't mind my asking?). mike

Larry Lukens
08-31-2009, 9:44 PM
Nice handles. I made some this weekend, too. I'm practicing prior to make up an hors douvres set for my wife for Christmas. Found some cherry lurking in the wood bin and gave it a go. Pics to follow.

Copper water pipe makes great ferrules.