PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form, bowl; from cherry

Mike Minto
08-26-2009, 5:22 PM
here's a couple of new pieces; the hollow form is showing lint or compound in crevices - what must i do, dye my buffing wheels a dark color? this is killing me. the defect was hidden inside a seemingly solid log; came as a complete surprise. collar of walnut and a ring of coffee grounds to cover the seam; about 10" tall, 3" at width. the small form is from a cherry log in the yard; about 3"x3". comments/critiques always welcome. mike

curtis rosche
08-26-2009, 5:24 PM
i really like the work on the hollowform. the bowl it nice to but i like the hf better

ROY DICK
08-26-2009, 6:22 PM
Mike,
I really like the hollow form. Maybe a tooth brush on the lint?
Just a thought.

Roy

Walt Caza
08-26-2009, 8:02 PM
Wow Mike,
Great looking turnings.

What's the deal with the coffee grounds?
thanks,
Walt

ps can't wait until I have a hf with a lint problem
(or maybe just a hf)

Scott Conners
08-26-2009, 9:49 PM
If it's lint, you're going to have to pick it out. To me it looks like it's white diamond, which is even harder to get out. I don't use white diamond on anything with open pores or anywhere it could pick up, as it gets in there every time. I just use tripoli only, which doesn't usually color the wood a noticeable amount.

Mark Burge
08-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow, the HF is very dramatic. I agree with Scott, don't buff with white in dark woods. I generally don't buff at all. Maybe some gloss wipe on poly?

alex carey
08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
use a compressor, love the hf btw.

Mike Minto
08-26-2009, 11:15 PM
walt, i learned here on the Creek that many substances can be used to advange for both cosmetic effect and utility. the seam between the collar and body of the hf was not good, so i cut a groove with a parting tool, filled it with a mixture of epoxy and coffee grounds, and finish turned the piece. hope that helps. actually, it's probably lint in the hf; i didn't use white diamond on it, but rather a different compound designed for use on metal, as recommended by the company that supplies Caswell with their buffing compounds (i called and talked to a company rep, and he suggested i try this compound - kinda tan in color, finer than tripoli). i'll try the compressor and maybe some tweezers to clean it up. oh, btw, it was finished with teak oil before the 3 wheel buff. thanks for the comments, mike

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Mike - interesting form on your little bowl. It's going look even better once the cherry starts to darken up!

Quite the natural embellishment on your vase! I've had similar things happen with logs that should have been solid (voids, bark pockets, punky centers, etc) - this one looks cool though! If you can't figure out a way to remove the white 'lint' - check and see if a soft wax will hide it. Thinking more of a good furniture wax or a hand rubbed finishing wax such as Watco.

Nice work Mike!

Mike Minto
08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
steve, thanks for the comments. have you or anyone else considered, or even have done, dyeing buffing wheels a darker color to avoid this sort of problem, do you know? mike

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2009, 7:07 AM
Great looking pieces Mike. I use a stiff toothbrush to get out most of it. Once or twice I use a brass brush that worked ok.

Ken Glass
08-27-2009, 8:28 AM
Mike,
Both of your pieces are great. The tall form is very interesting and I really like it and you have saved it well with your adaption. I have noticed that sometimes metal buffs with compounds don't work as well as do wood buffs with all the inclusion and pores in the wood. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
08-27-2009, 9:16 AM
Mike - because I turn mostly Cherry and Maple - I haven't experienced the lint problem. Wonder if it would be worth the extra time and effort to try and seal the wood grain before buffing? Lots of luck with this - it will be interesting to find out what works for you as a lot of folks have problems when buffing out Walnut.