PDA

View Full Version : More Salvaged Wood

harry strasil
08-26-2009, 3:16 PM
My New source of pine is the Monument Works, the crating for Tombstones, mostly short stuff tho and I needed a longer board for the bottom of another experiemental Barrister Bookcase and I had all these real short pieces and a couple of long thin ones. So I got out the Stanley 148 and now have a tongue and grooved board long enough out of 7 pieces.

harry strasil
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Second Barrister bookcase completed from salvaged lumber, this one is on top of my shop reference library bookcase to hold those tall bigger books that are too tall for the bottom ones, and to take care of some excess to make more space in the bottom ones.

Richard Dooling
08-28-2009, 3:43 PM
Nice harry!

How did you address the need to have the door slide back into the carcass?

harry strasil
08-28-2009, 4:34 PM
Richard basically I just copied the plastic ones in the lower set, out of aluminum with a bit of modification to make it easier to make.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/brstrbkcsslide.jpg

Richard Dooling
08-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Nice solution. I've seen this done with wire but the aluminum channel looks much stronger.
Pocket screws eh? Aren't those things amazing? As an experiment I built an old fashioned screen door with pocket screws - no glue. Two years of the spring slamming it into the door jamb and it's fine.

harry strasil
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
More Monument works crating converted into drawer fronts to convert a previousl made canned goods storage cabinet on casters prior to our new kitchen cabinets, to a sewing supplies storage cabinet for Ma, The fronts are made to look like the drawer fronts in her sewing machine cabinet, its knotty pine too.

harry strasil
09-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Drawers are done, a friend is gonna spray em with laquer, because I can't use finishes in my basement shop as the fumes drift upstairs and cause my wife to have breathing problems even tho there are no openings between the basement and the first floor and the heating/AC system does not have any inlets down here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/drawers.jpg