PDA

View Full Version : Anybody mount their bandsaw on a mobile cabinet?

Jason White
08-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Thinking about trashing the steel stand on my 14" JET bandsaw and replacing with a shop-made cabinet on casters with built-in storage. Anybody got pictures of something like this that you've built? I need ideas.

Jason

Matt Meiser
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Is your's one that has an open stand? If so, just build a box of appropriate height from 3/4" ply with a strong face frame on the open side. It would be a good opportunity to make it mobile with some nice locking casters and adjust the height to whatever you'd like. If its closed base, well then you've got to deal with the motor and that would leave less room for storage.

Dave Wagner
08-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Mine came with a stand, I just added heavy duty caster wheels to it instead of the rubber feet. It sits a bit high, but I don't have to bend over anymore!!

Craig Coney
08-26-2009, 1:15 PM
IIRC, FWW had a plan for one.

Jason White
08-26-2009, 1:58 PM
Stand is open, but the motor is mounted down below. I'll likely bolt the motor on top of the cabinet, behind the saw, and use a longer link-type belt.

Jason

Is your's one that has an open stand? If so, just build a box of appropriate height from 3/4" ply with a strong face frame on the open side. It would be a good opportunity to make it mobile with some nice locking casters and adjust the height to whatever you'd like. If its closed base, well then you've got to deal with the motor and that would leave less room for storage.

Jason White
08-26-2009, 1:59 PM
Can't find it on their web site.

Jason

IIRC, FWW had a plan for one.

lowell holmes
08-26-2009, 2:08 PM
I have the Jet 14" bandsaw in the Jet movable base. It works quite well.

Jason White
08-26-2009, 3:35 PM
Yes, but I want to use the space below the saw for storage.

Jason

I have the Jet 14" bandsaw in the Jet movable base. It works quite well.

Mark Elmer
08-26-2009, 8:55 PM
I have a Delta 14" BS. The older version made in the US. It has an enclosed base and I wondered how much storage there is in the base. Taking off the side panel reveals very little usable storage space. It's mostly taken up by the motor and it's mount and drive belt.

Bruce Wrenn
08-26-2009, 10:11 PM
The plans from FWW were in an article by John White, on souping up a 14" band saw. Probably 5-6 years ago.

Stephen Edwards
08-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Some recently did thread here at the Creek showing pics of their shop built base for their BS. It looked great. I don't think it had casters on it but that shouldn't be a big deal to add.

Sorry, I can't find the thread. I'll keep looking.

Jason White
08-27-2009, 6:43 AM
Exactly why I want to get rid of the steel base and build a wooden cabinet to mount the saw on. My motor doesn't have to be below the saw, it can sit behind it on top of any cabinet I build.

Anybody have pictures of something they've built?

Jason

I have a Delta 14" BS. The older version made in the US. It has an enclosed base and I wondered how much storage there is in the base. Taking off the side panel reveals very little usable storage space. It's mostly taken up by the motor and it's mount and drive belt.

glenn bradley
08-27-2009, 9:15 AM
Dad built one for his old Delta 14". I'll see if he posted. Motor is behind as discussed, drawers below. Handles slide out and it is moved wheelbarrow style so that it sits off the wheels when in use. I wouldn't want to move it far but it suits his needs.

Mike Cruz
08-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Look through my posts. I did one recently. I think it was called Bandsaw finished...finally! I DID put casters on it, but both sets gave the unit a wobble. I tried a HD set from the local borg, but wasn't satisfied. So I ordered 4" red ones from Grizzly and there was even more wobble. The wobble didn't come from the floor. It came from play in the wheels themselves. I ended up just taking them off and using them for other things in my shop that wobble didn't matter on...like a moblie clamp base.

Jerome Hanby
08-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Dad built one for his old Delta 14". I'll see if he posted. Motor is behind as discussed, drawers below. Handles slide out and it is moved wheelbarrow style so that it sits off the wheels when in use. I wouldn't want to move it far but it suits his needs.

That's what those were! Those handles were driving me crazy, couldn't figure out what they were for!

Jerome Hanby
08-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Look through my posts. I did one recently. I think it was called Bandsaw finished...finally! I DID put casters on it, but both sets gave the unit a wobble. I tried a HD set from the local borg, but wasn't satisfied. So I ordered 4" red ones from Grizzly and there was even more wobble. The wobble didn't come from the floor. It came from play in the wheels themselves. I ended up just taking them off and using them for other things in my shop that wobble didn't matter on...like a moblie clamp base.

The Lathe Stand in Shopnotes 67 does something that might help with that wobble. It has casters, at each corner it has heavy duty leg levelers. The idea is you wheel it where you want it to sit, then use the levelers to lift it off the casters. If you need to move it again, back off the levelers and ...

Stephen Edwards
08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Jason,

Here's the thread I was thinking of. Thanks, Mike, for the reminder.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116726

Mike Cruz
08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
There are pictures in my original post and a bunch more on the second page. If you want any more pics or have any questions, I'd be happy to help in whatever manner I can.

Mike Cruz
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I just bumped the thread so you can get to it easily...as if the link wasn't easy enough...duh...