PDA

View Full Version : Greenville, SC

Steven DeMars
08-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone living in or know anything about Greenville, SC please chime in. We are looking at it as a possible area to relocate to.

Thanks in advance,:)
Steve

Bob Childress
08-26-2009, 7:51 AM
I live in Greenville. What do you want to know? It's a great place to live. Vibrant downtown, good healthcare facilities, reasonable cost of living, decent housing prices.

It has been "discovered" in recent years by folks who are looking for a pleasant change. Very little to no snow, but not as oppressive in the summer as Florida (although we have our moments, true enough).

What's the most important thing you are looking for? I can get you some links to local information. :)

Dave Ogren
08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Steven,

I live in Asheville, NC which is aboutalmost 60 miles North of Greenville, SC The whole area is great. It reallty depends on what you want ie. job, housing costs, temperature, sight seeing, mountains, cost of living, or ??
Another great area is the Western Tennessee area. Depends on your needs. Let us know and I am sure we all can chip in and get you the answers.

Dave

Jeff Mohr
08-27-2009, 9:50 AM
I live in Anderson, SC...right down the road from Greenville. If I had my choice, I'd move to Greenville....but being a student at Clemson, Anderson is closer.

It is a great city with a nice downtown. Also has nice coutryside not too far from the city either. From what I hear from my father-in-law, there is a great Woodworking Club around these parts as well. Sam Maloof was brought in a few years ago by the club and they bring other big names in as well.

Wayne Morley
08-27-2009, 9:58 PM
I live in a suburb of Greenville (Taylors). I relocated here about 15 years ago from up nort way, don’t ya know. It is a nice area not far from the mountains and the coast. The climate is good with moderate winters, not too hot summers, with beautiful spring and fall. The people are friendly, but if you are not a Christian or a Republican it’s best if you keep it to yourself. There are a lot of transplants here, and some of the locals don’t like it, I have experienced some resentment on several occasions. There seems to be a lot of domestic violence, and the murder rate is high. If you are into sports there is a semipro baseball team, as well as football at Clemson, Furman and The University of South Carolina. During the summer there are lots of activates, some with live music and food, on main street. All and all this is a nice place to live.

Jeff is talking about the Greenville Woodworkers Guild. It is a great club. A couple of months ago Brian Boggs gave an excellent presentation at one of our monthly meeting. We also do a lot of charitable work in the community. Dues are $75 per year. There web site is http://www.greenvillewoodworkers.com/.

Mike Langford
08-28-2009, 3:08 AM
I live in Travelers Rest which is in Northern Greenville county (roughly 10 miles from downtown Greenville)

I'll echo what everyone else has said and will add....Greenville is located in the foothills, a short drive away from some beautiful mountains (Caesar's Head, Table Rock State Park) with plenty of scenic hiking trails and camping, and if you enjoy the water, there are several lakes/reservoirs (Lakes Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell) nearby for boating and fishing....

Greenville is pretty centrally located not far in any direction from -Atlanta, Asheville/Knoxville, Charlotte, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston!

Come see us!

I'm also a member of the Woodworker's Guild!

Dave Johnson29
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Anyone living in or know anything about Greenville, SC please chime in. We are looking at it as a possible area to relocate to.

:) I was going to jump in with the humidity issue, but then I saw you were from LA, no need to tell you about humidity. :D:D