PDA

View Full Version : Its already dirty

Steve Mawson
08-25-2009, 9:45 PM
New lathe came today (Delta 46-460), had to give it a try. Only made a pen but it works GREAT. Turns smooth except for a little vibration on the low range. Very smooth in mid and high range. Finish is about perfect with no dings or scratches, could not say that for the Jet 1014 when it was new. Checked all speeds with a tach and they are close to the chart. Motor ran cool with the head stock getting a little warm. Drive center and tail stock center lined up perfectly. The belt is stiff but may loosen up after it gets some more use. Face plate is shinny chrome. The 10 inch tool rest looks a little wimpy but will know more when I use it. I read a lot of good things about this lathe before I decided to purchase and I must say I am quite pleased at this point.

Ruffed out a cherry log from tree that went down in a storm couple weeks ago. That should make the lathe work a little harder.:cool:

Regards,

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Steve - glad to hear you are happy with your new lathe! Looking forward to seeing what you think of it after a few weeks of turning!

Alan Trout
08-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Steve,

Congratulations, that is a nice lathe.

Alan

Bill Bolen
08-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Congrats Steve! I too have read a number of favorable articles.Hope they all hold true for you. Sure looks to be a healthy lathe...Bill...

Leo Van Der Loo
08-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Congrats Steve, I think you made a good choice with getting that lathe, have fun and take care

alex carey
08-26-2009, 12:46 AM
nice to hear your getting it dirty, ive only heard good things about that lathe, you should definitely give it a review in a few months. Put it through its paces.

Scott Hubl
08-26-2009, 1:36 AM
Congrats Steve, Dirty is a GOOD thing!

Have FUN with it.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-26-2009, 2:46 AM
Congrats Steve, That is one sweet lathe.

Rick Flink
08-26-2009, 3:41 AM
I sure am happy to hear (I think) your headstock got a little warm. I've had my 46-460 for a month now but have not had a lot of chance to use it yet, but one thing I noticed is the headstock does get warm. Motor runs nice and cool. I was afraid I might have a bearing issue, but maybe not now.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Norris Randall
08-26-2009, 4:23 AM
It doesn't look dirty to me.

All I see in the picture is , good clean, wood chips.:D

Welcome to "As the World Turns"

Steve Mawson
08-26-2009, 7:34 AM
Rick,
I noticed that this lathe stops quicker when I shut it off than my Jet. I think the bearings are pretty tight. I don't think warm is a bad thing at this point. Hope you get yours going. The belt is much thicker and wider than the Jet as well and that could be part of the warmth.

Rick Hutcheson
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I have had this lathe awhile and probably put 150 hours of run time on it and have never noticed the headstock being warm. I have noticed the electronic black box on the back of the headstock is warm but nothing unusaual about that to me. Can you get a little more detailed about what and where you are finding it getting warm. I just roughed the outside of 6 9" walnut bowls and checked it and everything seems normal, nothing but the control box is warm.

curtis rosche
08-26-2009, 11:16 AM
remember be for you rough out that log. BOlT YOUR LATHE DOWN!!! in your picture it doesnt look to be secured to the bench. i cant imagine the accident that would happen if the lathe came off the table towards you with and unbalanced peice on it

jason lambert
08-26-2009, 1:06 PM
Congrats, nice choice.

Steve Mawson
08-26-2009, 8:47 PM
remember be for you rough out that log. BOlT YOUR LATHE DOWN!!! in your picture it doesnt look to be secured to the bench. i cant imagine the accident that would happen if the lathe came off the table towards you with and unbalanced peice on it

Curtis,

Agree on the bolting down. Wasn't too worried when all I was doing was a pen. Just wanted to make it go. Will get it tied down before anything that might jump around.

curtis rosche
08-26-2009, 8:49 PM
nice lathe though

Rick Hutcheson
08-28-2009, 9:32 AM
How about an update on how the new lathe is doing. I guess you have used it some more by now.

Sean Ackerman NY
08-28-2009, 4:40 PM
Steve, glad to see she found her home out in Nebraska! Great to see the pictures, enjoy and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Isn't the finish something? I have it sitting here right next to a Jet and it's no comparison. Blew my mind right out of the box.

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Congrats Steve. That is one nice lathe. I wish it had been out before I got my Jet 1220. I have got to turn on one and I think it is smoother, quieter, and know it has more power when turning bigger items.