PDA

View Full Version : Hickory

Shawn Stennett
08-25-2009, 9:13 PM
One day in the future my wife would like me to replace her kitchen cabinets. My sister recently went to the Blue borg and bought some Hickory cabinets and had me install them for her and my wife really likes the look of Hickory. My only issue is where do I get hickory plywood in central Texas, or would I just use another type of ply for the casing.

Jim Rimmer
08-25-2009, 9:30 PM
Shawn, I know Buffalo is a bit of drive to Houston but if you're going for a big load (or in town for something else, check them out) Houston Hardwoods is a good spot. Don't know if they have hickory ply but they have everything else. Google them for phone # and directions. Very helpful folks - gave me a lot of info on the phone (prices, etc) and they are open on Saturday.

Shawn Stennett
08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Jim, went to their website and they do have hickory ply, I will call them tommorrow.

Is there any other wood that you might mix with Hickory?

Richard M. Wolfe
08-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a woodworking operation with a guy who just finished making and installing a set of pecan cabinets from local trees. They look very much like hickory cabinets in the borg, and for good reason - pecan is a hickory.

alex grams
08-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Houston Hardwoods will typically mix their pecan and hickory stock.

Shawn Stennett
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
I called and got some prices, they were pretty decent it seems. I am not used to prices in linear feet. I am looking forward to digging around in their stacks.

Keith Webster
08-27-2009, 10:37 AM
South Texas Moulding (http://www.ropemould.com/) here in Corpus Christi has Hickory plywood. 3/4'' is $84.00 and 1/4 is $50.00.