PDA

View Full Version : Lasering handcuffs

Linda Kroeker
08-25-2009, 9:03 PM
Has anyone ever lasered on handcuffs? I have some silver nickle and some solid black metal ones, not anodized...
I'm thinking I can use cermark on the silver ones but the black is pretty solid black all the way through the metal...any advice on what settings
would work...thats if it is possible to be done!

Thank you

Dan Hintz
08-25-2009, 9:04 PM
They make white cermark (pearlescent white, actually).

Linda Kroeker
08-25-2009, 9:11 PM
Dan,
Where would I get white cermark??? or do I laser through tape and spray paint???

ROY DICK
08-25-2009, 9:58 PM
Kinky?Just kiddin'.

Roy

Phil Garcia
08-25-2009, 9:59 PM
Roy, u beat me to it!!!!!!!:D

Bill Cunningham
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I've never seen metal that is solid black all the way through? Are you sure?

Dan Hintz
08-26-2009, 6:46 AM
Bill said the obvious... so obvious, it never dawned on me :rolleyes: I'm not aware of any metal alloy that is black through and through.

For white, contact Cerro... they'll be able to hook you up with a supplier who carries it (they also have bronze, FYI).

Mike Null
08-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Most likely the handcuffs are black oxide which can sometimes be lasered.

Victor A Dorais Jr
08-26-2009, 1:52 PM
It can be done. just did it yesterday for OOB police Department.

I Sprayed the Cermark on then Laser Engraved. This is the second time we have lasered engraved handcuffs for them.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae10/CHEECH4CASH/CermarkedPoliceIssueHandcuff.jpg

Phil Garcia
08-26-2009, 3:37 PM
Those black cuffs are just pure steel with a coating. When I was a police officer my black cuffs would get scratched and that is where there would rust from the body salts. I would just repaint them with a anti-rust black spray paint to make them look new.

Linda Kroeker
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Thank you everyone...I was able to laser on the black with a good mark and I used cermark on the silver nickle ones...whats the trick to getting
the arch perfect where it should be??? I've tried everything from scanning to drawing to downloading a photo...I had a heck of a time as you can
see its a bit crooked...

Bob Savage
08-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Thank you everyone...I was able to laser on the black with a good mark and I used cermark on the silver nickle ones...whats the trick to getting
the arch perfect where it should be??? I've tried everything from scanning to drawing to downloading a photo...I had a heck of a time as you can
see its a bit crooked...

I'm probably stating the obvious, and you already did this, but since you have the cuffs scanned could you not create a path and align the text to the path?

Dan Hintz
08-27-2009, 6:40 AM
Don't forget to make a jig... since the cuffs can be tightened by an errant squeeze, that will make the scanned image and the lasered text not line up.

Mike Null
08-27-2009, 6:48 AM
The arc you made looks just fine. The positioning is a little off but you can fix that with a simple jig, as previously suggested. Once you have made the jig you can use painters tape to test the location. Once you settle on it, lock it in. But you should be encouraged as your engraving result looks good. The black ones have been oxidized, BTW.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Linda and all,

Remember that when etching handcuffs, always try to etch the top, not the part that is adjustable. The reason is because the adjustable part goes through two pieces of metal and rubs these pieces when they are in use. I have etched handcuffs for officers and realized that the cermark will eventually rub away in the adjustable piece.

Brian Robison
08-27-2009, 3:40 PM
Black oxide is tough to engrave, yours look good.

Mike Burroughs
08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Just to throw this out there...If Im not sure how its gonna look (in the right location/arc etc) i first use a mask (scotch tape or regular mask tape) turn the laser power way down. It scores the surface and you can see if its where you want it to be.

*Hint- make sure to set the power low enough or (like i did) it over heated the tape enough and left a 'ghost' image on the actual piece.

Mike.

Mike Christen
08-28-2009, 8:18 AM
Something i do for a quick jig is scan the item, print it, put it in your laser and lay product over the top of print for allignment. Set up in corel using the scaned image as background.

Hope this helps

Darryl Hazen
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Linda,

For verifying the position before engraving, try this. Place some blue painter's masking tape on the item, set your laser power around 10-15% and then run the file. You should see the engraving appear as a white image on the tape. Start at low power. If no image, up the power 1% at a time until you get an image. On my Epilog that usually occurs at 11% Remove the tape without moving the item, set power for final engraving and run it.

Ed Kloppenburg
09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I tried this about a year ago, to etch my cuffs, along with a few fellow officers handcuffs. I was able to get the arc by scan/print and readjust the arcm using Corel. I used the spray cermark and lasered twice. It came out real nice looking but started to wear. Not real good looking now, however one can still see my name on the cuffs.
Maybe try the PINK anodized cuffs

Ed