PDA

View Full Version : advice on sandblasting

Glinda Fabok
08-25-2009, 4:17 PM
I have been asked to engrave by sandblast on a large sign in granite and they want to know if it is possible to get a smooth flat look on the bottom of letters they want almost a half inch deep and at least 1.5 inches wide. Is it? I get a smooth look at about a quarter inch but the deeper the cut the more round and pitted the bottom looks. Any advice?

Dan Hintz
08-25-2009, 5:23 PM
I imagine if you go back after the rough cut-in with a smaller blaster you could get fairly close, but it would be a time sink.

Mark Winlund
08-25-2009, 5:40 PM
They make routers for stonework, but they are serious money.

Mark

Jack Harper
08-25-2009, 10:42 PM
This is done with waterjets all the time. You also end up an uneven bottom. The trick is to fill the bottom with a color matched leveling solution/adhesive. Contact your professional stone tool supply company and thay can point you in the right direction. You can even use a contrasting color for a unique look.

Francisco perez
08-26-2009, 1:40 AM
I work alot with sand blasting, and yeah half an inch is kinda deep and you might end up with uneven Bottom it would be rounded, you might get away with it by using a small Finer blaster tip To finish it up like Dan said but yeah it would take along time to get it done