PDA

View Full Version : Mo chuisle mo chroí

Allen Koriakin
08-25-2009, 2:16 PM
About 7 weeks ago my son noticed a lump on our dog "Flabbychuck's" back leg. It wasn't very large but I was concerned because it didn't feel like a bug bite or just a bruise, but more like a solid lump under the skin right on her tendon. I took her to the vet the next day and got the bad news. It was a stage II mast cell tumor which is more common in certain breeds ( She is a greater swiss mountain dog). He recommended that I take her to a doggie oncologist in the Atlanta area. This dog is a special dog to our family and I didn't hesitate to take her to the best place no matter what the expense.

She had surgery just over a week ago and they removed as much as they could without taking the leg. They actually had to scrape the tendon to remove all the cells they could and even then the doctor's could not get the margins they wanted to. A call from the vet this morning confirmed that radiation treatment would be the best option to make sure that the tumor would not return. Overall it could have been much worse and I'm glad that we at least had options regarding Flabbychucks treatment.

Needless to say this entire episode come in a particularly difficult time for us. I have been out of work for 3 months and money has become a real issue in the last few weeks. I have been contemplating selling a few of my tools that I could do without to fund some of the radiation treatments. If it comes to that and it most likely will I will be posting a few of the better items here first. It's an easy decision for me really and I'm sure I will be able to buy some tools again when our situation gets better. I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't do everything I could to save old "Flabbychucks".

I have had many dogs over the years but Flabby has been the most loyal loving animal I have ever know. She could use all the prayers she could get in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for listening to me ramble about my dog who is the "pulse of my heart."

Fred Hargis
08-25-2009, 2:27 PM
Only another dog lover can understand the pain you feel. I wish you and Flabbychucks the best.

Jim O'Dell
08-25-2009, 4:32 PM
Prayers for Flabby's fast and full recovery, and for the family too. Plus the Setters send some of their red hot Texas zen. Jim.

Mike Cutler
08-25-2009, 7:51 PM
Allen

Best wishes and prayers for Flabbychucks, and all of your family.
I got two Vizsla's here to send her some extra "zippy do da" when she needs it.

We do what we have to do for our pets. It's just part of the deal we make with them.

Scott Shepherd
08-25-2009, 7:58 PM
We'll be praying for her. I was actually in a non-profit organization yesterday offering to donate some products, and their role is to help dogs that have cancer and need treatment. The nearest place for treatment is apparently 90 miles away, so they are trying to fund a new place here and all the equipment and doctors that it takes.

Dog's are just such special gifts in our lives and I can't imagine this planet without them. Just wonderful gifts that bring so many so much love and joy.

I hope she has a speedy recovery. Just keep loving her and she'll be fine!

Take care of her and tuck her in for all of us tonight :)

Andy Haney
08-25-2009, 11:02 PM
My family is thinking of you and yours. How old is Flabby? Reason I ask is that we have a Bernese Moutain Dog...very similar, and about 2 years old.

Andy

Lori Kleinberg
08-26-2009, 1:52 AM
Thank you for taking care of your pet. Best wishes to Flabby for speedy and quick recovery. It is amazing how quickly these dogs become a part of our family.
My youngest son adopted an abused chihuahua 2 months ago. She is about 7-8 months old now. At present the dog weighs just under 3 1/2 lbs, has poorly formed feet because of vitamin deficiency (no prenatal care for the mom), he will still need to have his tail bobbed because of lord only knows what they did to it, he has to be neutered and the vet bill has already totaled over $2500. Luckily none of his problems seem to be life threatening, but he will certainly never win a beauty contest.

Jim Sears
08-26-2009, 7:04 AM
I know your pain. I lost my best friend "Ollie", a 9 year old Boxer, about a month ago. It was really tough watching him go downhill for a couple of years, knowing that there was nothing that could really heal old age and congestive heart failure.

Best of luck to Flabby and with her treatment.

Allen Koriakin
08-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Andy,

Flabbychucks is almost 3 years old. This type of cancer is more common in older dogs. This is why we are trying so hard to get this all cleared up and save that back leg. The vet has already warned me that this type of mast cell cancer almost always returns.

Thanks for all the prayers!

The Koriakin Family

Greg Cole
08-28-2009, 2:53 PM
Another dod lover here. Best wishes to Flabby.
Our dog (puggle- 1/2 pug & 1/2 beagle mix) was hit by a car at just 6 months old. Roughly $2K later, little Rudy was in a cast and healing. The 2 nights the dog spent overnight at the hospital were absolute sleepless nights for me, it's like having a child in the ER.:eek:
Today, there's a little scar where the bone poked through the skin and a funny color line where the vet shaved the leg (and a steel pin in the leg bone), but he's good as new and running around at 200 mph.
He's 2+ now, comes to work with me every day. I take him everywhere I go other than to kids baseball games and in the woods hunting.
My 7 year old boy and I share bestest friends in this little dog.;)