PDA

View Full Version : Question about roundover and beading router bits

Louis Brandt
08-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I need to get a roundover bit, and I’ve noticed that one tool catalog says that you can remove the bearing on a roundover bit and turn it into a beading bit. If this is true, I assume that you could not only remove the bearing, but also replace it with a different size bearing to produce a different beading profile.

Have any of you used a roundover bit in this way, and if so, is this as effective as simply buying a separate beading bit? If this works, it sounds like a way to get two bit profiles by buying just one bit.

Thanks,
Louis

Frank Drew
08-25-2009, 1:09 PM
Have any of you used a roundover bit in this way, and if so, is this as effective as simply buying a separate beading bit?

Absolutely; it's the same cutter so you can either get a smaller diameter bearing for routing freehand, or use a fence or guide if you just remove the original bearing.

Prashun Patel
08-25-2009, 1:13 PM
I've used it this way. Easy peezy.

David DeCristoforo
08-25-2009, 7:43 PM
The only difference between a "roundover" bit and a "beading" bit is the bearing size. So swapping the roundover's "stock" bearing for a smaller one will create the "extra" step that makes a "roundover" a "bead". I never consider a "set" of router bits complete without a bearing set like the one shown here:

http://www.mikestools.com/791-703-00-CMT-Rabbeting-Bit-Bearing-Set.aspx

You can also get individual bearings as small as 1/4" OD like these:

http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/47723.html

A 1/4" bearing on a "typical" roundover bit will give you a step of approx 1/8"

Different sized bearings will allow you to adjust the offset of any of your bits as well as give you different widths when used with a rabbeting bit.

Louis Brandt
08-25-2009, 8:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I recently bought a rabbeting bit set, which included several sizes of bearings. I assume that I could use one of those bearings on a roundover bit to accomplish what you're talking about.
Louis

glenn bradley
08-25-2009, 9:28 PM
I have a wide array of bearings that allow all sorts of tricks with various bits. No worries, just put 'em on tight and give 'em a drop or light oil now and then.

Charles McCracken
08-26-2009, 9:49 AM
Hello,

I need to get a roundover bit, and I’ve noticed that one tool catalog says that you can remove the bearing on a roundover bit and turn it into a beading bit. If this is true, I assume that you could not only remove the bearing, but also replace it with a different size bearing to produce a different beading profile.

Have any of you used a roundover bit in this way, and if so, is this as effective as simply buying a separate beading bit? If this works, it sounds like a way to get two bit profiles by buying just one bit.

Thanks,
Louis

From this page:

http://www.freudtools.com/p-143-rounding-over-bits.aspx
http://www.freudtools.com/images/PRODUCT/large/143.jpg

Louis Brandt
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Charles,
Thanks. I understand the purpose of the bearing, but what is the step washer, where is it shown on the diagram and what does it do?
Thanks,
Louis

David DeCristoforo
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
The "step washer" is not shown in the image Charles posted. To goes between the bearing and the bottom of bit and is supposed to keep the outer bearing race from binding. In most cases, it's not needed. If the outer race spins freely, you are good to go. If not a small washer may be needed but you don't have to use a "special step washer". Any washer that is smaller than the O.D. of the bearing you are using will do. This is not rocket science!

Louis Brandt
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks David,
I recently purchased a rabbeting bit kit, which had several alternate size bearings and two step washers in it. But I didn't know the purpose of the step washers, and I didn't know where they were supposed to go.
Thanks again,
Louis

Tom Veatch
08-26-2009, 1:51 PM
Thanks for the info. I recently bought a rabbeting bit set, which included several sizes of bearings. I assume that I could use one of those bearings on a roundover bit to accomplish what you're talking about.
Louis

As long as the ID and thickness of the bearing matches the diameter and length of the stud on the bit, and the outer race doesn't bind on the cutter, I'd say you're good to go.