PDA

View Full Version : Spherical Oak HF

Mark Burge
08-25-2009, 11:45 AM
This is my first attempt at a sphere. When I brought it up for LOML to see when it was still on the wasteblock, she said "Wow, you can make a bedpost!" She thought this was a good thing. I was not quite so excited about bedposts. It means she wants a new bed.

Anyway, looking at the pictures, I get a sense for some of the mistakes I have in this piece. The cracks stand out like a sore thumb in the pictures. They are not so pronounced when you are holding it in your hand. Also, there is an obvious section that I didn't sand enough. It seems to have gone out of round on me and I missed that spot. It wobbles a lot when you put it on a flat surface and the bottom is clearly not quite round, but I like the angle it takes and I'll probably leave it so.

There is no finish on it yet. I am still going to try to hand sand the rough spot and take some of the roughness off the inside. I'm thinking that I will just wax it.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome.

Mark Burge
08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
here's the pics

Steve Schlumpf
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Looks pretty good to me Mark! I haven't tried turning a sphere yet but you sure did a good job! As far as a finish - it is a personal choice - but I would put some type of an oil based finish on it before waxing just to help the grain and flecks to pop!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the bedposts!

curtis rosche
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
looks like a bowling ball for a one fingered person. nice work, i like the bit of figure it has

Mark Burge
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks Steve. I kinda got in critique mode on myself and was only looking at the flaws. But, I was very happy with the form. It was done by eye, no template. The result is a little flattened, but that is what makes it individual. It's also fun to have around. I've picked it up and played with it a lot since I took it off the lathe.

About the bedposts - I just put two and two together. LOML has been talking about painting the bedroom for a while. Guess I better keep my eye out for some nice cherry. :-)

Steve Kubien
08-25-2009, 5:00 PM
Mark, that is a pretty cool form in some tough wood. If you are going to sand the outside, try mounting it between a cup-chuck and a livecentre. Waaaaayyyy easier than hand sanding.

Cheers,
Steve

Mark Hubl
08-25-2009, 5:29 PM
Looks good Mark. A sphere is a tough shape because 360 is 360. Pretty symmetrical, I say a good outcome. Was it wet wood? If so it can really change shape as you turn and after. The cracks are the cracks. If they were in the blank then you work with them. Good job.

ROY DICK
08-25-2009, 6:22 PM
Mark,
If it takes a sore thumb to turn something that good, I"ll be right back.
"Honey, where's that sledge hammer?"
Great job on that sphere.

Roy

Mark Burge
08-25-2009, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone.

Mark, the wood was from a tree that came down about six months ago (I think, I've kinda lost track). The blank was cut just before I put it between centers. So the wood was somewhat wet. I could feel a dampness when hollowing, so I suspect it moved some on me.

Steve, too late already hand sanded. I had a stay home day today. I also took Steve S's advice and oiled it with walnut oil. Will buff out when it dries.