PDA

View Full Version : Paint suggestion

Jerome Hanby
08-25-2009, 9:18 AM
I'm picking up an old mechanics vise Today. It's painted (with what looks like leftover house paint). Going to see if I can find someone that can sandblast it clean. After that, what would be a good type of paint to use. My first thought was engine paint...

David G Baker
08-25-2009, 9:43 AM
Go to Tractor Supply and get "tractor paint". This paint stands up quite well to oils and abuse, at least that has been my experience. The vise might look good painted John Deere Green with a touch of John Deere Yellow trim. :D

Stephen Musial
08-25-2009, 9:57 AM
For some reason, I wanted a little color in my shop besides Walker Turner gra-green and Powermatic green so I painted my Lion Miter Trimmer with Rustoleum Hammer (deep blue) and trimmed it out with some bright yellow.

I had the trimmer shell blasted to get rid of the rust and then painted it. It's held up perfectly for the last 7 or 8 years moved, banged around, etc. in a shop with no HVAC or humidity control.

(If you click on my gallery, you can see it in the back right corner below some bins and behind the Bosch router table)

Matt Meiser
08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd just use Rust-O-Leum in a spray can. Actually, I'd probably use the Do-It-Best store brand. The TSC tractor paint is pretty similar, just available in tractor colors.

I've used all three at different times in quart or gallon cans and sprayed them with my HVLP. Be aware that they take a LONG time to harden. Putting them out in the sun after normal drying (a day or so) seems to help bake it. But don't do it too soon or it won't adhere well.

Jerome Hanby
08-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the help. I've got a nearly new TSC just down the road from me (in Alabama than means within 20 miles :D). Just looked at their website and they have spray cans in several shades of red (Dad's old vise is red and that's what looks right to me).

Matt Evans
08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProductFinder.asp?pfm=RST&bsq=2&bid=6

RustOleum has been my go to paint for things like this for a long time. They make a whole host of paints and finishes that most people never even hear about. And, the website is very informative.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-25-2009, 12:05 PM
or you could make a journey of it and make Japan enamel

Jerome Hanby
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
or you could make a journey of it and make Japan enamel

Is that the same thing as "japanning"? I actually considered that. I bought asphaultium (sp ?) a while back to try on some old plane restorations. I found a toaster oven on Freecycle that's large enough to do the plane bodies, but no way the vise pieces would fit. I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me of she caught me baking a vise in her oven.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
...caught...

Key word. :D:eek:

Jerome Hanby
08-25-2009, 1:11 PM
Key word. :D:eek:

I always get caught:D

David G Baker
08-25-2009, 3:08 PM
Matt,
The smell always give it away when I used the oven so I started using movie lights to pre-heat the metal and heat the paint as it is applied. Seems to work for me.

Dave Ogren
08-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Jerome,

I have been well pleased with Rustolieum (spelling) It seems that what makes it work the best, is to also use their primer.

Good luck,

Dave

Jerome Hanby
08-26-2009, 2:38 PM
I may just go with Rustoleum (darned if I can spell it either :o). I'll be using using their primer and gray for my Unisaw...assuming I live long enough to get to that project.