PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw wing widths

Mark Elmer
08-25-2009, 1:20 AM
Hi all,

I have a Jet 10" contractor style saw that has a Jet Xacta Fence. The rails of this fence are 82" long.

I saw this clamp table in ShopNotes Volume 18 Issue 106:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/106/extras/table-saw-project-center/

The plan includes replacing the existing stamped steel wing on the lefthand side with a 14" wide x 27" deep wing made up of three layers of 3/4" plywood with a router plate cut into it.

Now my questions. Since I am changing the width of the left wing from the 10" wide origional to a 14" wide replacement should I (would you) shift the fence rails 4" to the left? I am considering even making the router wing a bit wider than 14". Perhaps as much as 20" or even 24" and this would surely mandate shifting the fence rails to the left.

Is there something I am overlooking here? Are there proportions as to left - vs- right tablesaw wings that should be considered? The base model of the saw had a 10" wide stamped steel wing on each side. (Anyone have any ideas what to use these boat anchors for?)

I look forward to reading your comments.

Mark

Josiah Bartlett
08-25-2009, 2:13 AM
I put my router plate on the right hand side of the blade, for two reasons. One was that I have wide rails so the space is empty. The second is that I can make double duty fence mods- I make double duty sacrificial fence saddles that meet the blade on one side and the router bit on the other.

Moving the fence over is up to you, it depends on the fence system how close you will be able to get it to the router bit.

Oh, and the third reason is that I normally keep my saw parked against the wall so I have more room to get around in my small shop. I can use the router with it in this position as long as I don't need the fence, and I have lots of table on either side of the blade.

Jason White
08-25-2009, 6:34 AM
If you're going to have a track for a miter gauge in the router wing, don't move the fence rails farther to the left. If you do, the rails might block the infeed and outfeed sides of the track.

Jason

Hi all,

I have a Jet 10" contractor style saw that has a Jet Xacta Fence. The rails of this fence are 82" long.

I saw this clamp table in ShopNotes Volume 18 Issue 106:

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/106/extras/table-saw-project-center/

The plan includes replacing the existing stamped steel wing on the lefthand side with a 14" wide x 27" deep wing made up of three layers of 3/4" plywood with a router plate cut into it.

Now my questions. Since I am changing the width of the left wing from the 10" wide origional to a 14" wide replacement should I (would you) shift the fence rails 4" to the left? I am considering even making the router wing a bit wider than 14". Perhaps as much as 20" or even 24" and this would surely mandate shifting the fence rails to the left.

Is there something I am overlooking here? Are there proportions as to left - vs- right tablesaw wings that should be considered? The base model of the saw had a 10" wide stamped steel wing on each side. (Anyone have any ideas what to use these boat anchors for?)

I look forward to reading your comments.

Mark