PDA

View Full Version : a book pedestal

Michael Panis
08-24-2009, 9:24 PM
So LOML asked me if I could build her something she could put books and papers on for reading, so she wouldn't have to stare straight down at her desk. "No problem," I said. (Excuse for new tools, I thought). "Oh, and it would be nice if it folded down when I wasn't using it."

"Uh, huh," I thought. I've never made anything with moving parts. After many hours of Sketchup, I started building what would become this:

Not knowing what angle would be best for reading, I decided to make it adjustable.

I decided I wanted to do something special, so I veneered some felines on the front. First time at veneering/marquetry. Woo-hoo! (notice the models)

After all, it was a gift for our wood anniversary
(Charcoal and Squirt are her cats, Reeses is my dog. For some reason, the cats are more interested in the wood shop than the dog)

And I didn't forget to make it so it would fold down.

---------------------------------------------

The wood was all maple, with MDF under the veneer for the front panel. The cats are tiger maple. The finish is French polish.

Thanks for looking!

---Mike

Roy Wall
08-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Nice work.........that's a cool looking project!!

John Keeton
08-25-2009, 7:06 AM
Nice work, Michael. The finish looks like it came out very well, and I like the inlay work (don't like cats, but don't tell your wife!)

Thomas Jefferson had a somewhat similar design on a pivoting stand, as I recall, that held multiple books.

Christopher Kanda
08-25-2009, 9:53 AM
Very nice work and a very useful item.

John Thompson
08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Simple design loaded with function. Great idea to make it adjustable and fold up for when not in use. I may take your lead on this one even though I modify everything.. everything I tell you as even the 12 step program won't break the habit. :)

Very well done...