PDA

View Full Version : DYWS Plaques

Anthony Welch
08-24-2009, 8:41 PM
I don't mean to gloat, especially with some of us having a hard time in this business. But me and the wife, mostly the wife, have "bird-dogged" this job for over a year.

Our little town hosted the Dixie Youth World Series this year and the Recreational Supervisor, who was the person responsible for getting our town to host the event, for the city liked our plaques and wanted to present every player with one. After some negotiating, we made 360 of the 6" plaques and 14 of the 12" plaques. These designs come from the "Sample Pack" that Laserbuzz sells.

We felt as honored to do these as the city was to host the DYWS.

Anthony

John Noell
08-24-2009, 8:45 PM
Congratulations! Nice work and good bird-dogging!

Frank Corker
08-24-2009, 8:54 PM
Beautiful work Tony, they look amazing.

Dee Gallo
08-24-2009, 9:00 PM
Those look great, and don't worry about gloating - you worked hard for this job in more ways than one. Glad your perseverance paid off and I'm sure you made the event even more memorable for all involved.

cheers, dee

Tim Bateson
08-24-2009, 9:42 PM
Congrats Anthony good work & sounds like you earned it.
Question: When doing those plaques, have you come up with an efficient way of applying the finish?

Margaret Turco
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Congratulations Anthony, well done!
How are they meant to be displayed; is there a keyhole or something in the back for hanging?

Steve Clarkson
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Very nice job Anthony......in more ways than one.

Would be interested in knowing how you made those....is the maroon part painted wood?

Mike Null
08-25-2009, 6:57 AM
Anthony

My compliments on your work and your marketing.

Todd Suire
08-25-2009, 3:48 PM
Anthony,

Great work. Like Steve, I'd like to know more about your process.

Anthony Welch
08-25-2009, 4:08 PM
Question: When doing those plaques, have you come up with an efficient way of applying the finish?

Tim, our process that we came up with is cut, sand, stain alternating pieces different colors (we use wipe on MinWax), spray paint or stain background, assemble, and spray a couple of coats of lacquer.

Would be interested in knowing how you made those....is the maroon part painted wood?

Steve, Tom did have some videos on his web site that he demonstrated the assembly, but those are gone now. but with each cd you get comes a dvd/cd with those videos and also clips of the finished product for use in web sites, pamplets, so-forth. These were actually painted backgrounds red and navy blue.

How are they meant to be displayed; is there a keyhole or something in the back for hanging?

Margaret, the larger ones have an adjustable slot on the background, that is convienetly hidden, for hanging. The smaller ones, he has included in the cd, a little cutout stand designs for those.

The larger ones are 3D, means each piece from the background is raised using spacers. The smaller ones are 1D and the front is directly glued to the background. Also the smaller ones we rastered the lettering whereas the larger ones have the letters vector cut to show the background colors.

Thanks again,
Anthony

Steve Clarkson
08-25-2009, 4:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain Anthony.

Todd Suire
08-26-2009, 5:33 PM
Absolutely, Thanks again!

Anthony, where do you get your supply of wood?

Anthony Welch
08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
where do you get your supply of wood?

Todd, Mike Kowalczyk has the sheets pre-cut.
He posts on SMC. Look him up in the member list.

Anthony

Lisa Higginbotham
08-30-2009, 8:07 AM
Great Job! Timewise, how long on average did it take to make each size? (I know you do this in stages, but did you figure out an average, and is that how you figured out what to charge for these?)

Anthony Welch
08-31-2009, 4:02 PM
Timewise, how long on average did it take to make each size? (I know you do this in stages, but did you figure out an average, and is that how you figured out what to charge for these?)

Lisa,

The 12" plaques took approx. 1hr 20 min to do the face and background of 4 plaques. the 6" plaques took approx 1hr 20 min to do 8 face sides only.

Why so long on the 6" you say, since these are smaller and vector cutting the smaller letters and images tend to break off when sanding. I choose to raster the lettering and changed some of the design like the ballcap bill so it would not cut out. This was my personnal preference to make a better product, the way I saw it.

Anthony