PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning is a Riot - Safety gloat

Michael Mills
08-24-2009, 2:20 PM
After a member of our club brought in a bowl and pictures of his arm, I decided that maybe I should take a second look at my face shield (about 14 bucks). Looking online at one of the woodworking store they have one that looks OK for about $55 ($31 at Amazon). I started researched the specs and they were rated to withstand a one inch steel ball dropped 50 inches. Ok, maybe I should look more.
Purchase on Ebay - $30 – Done Deal - Picture attached. For Riot Control, Bomb Squards, ect.
Shield velocity is rated for a 17 caliber projectile at 850 feet per second.

There is another shield only on ebay, still at $9.50 with the same rating if anyone is interested. It has about a day left and no bids. Until I found the one I purchased I had planned on mounting the shield to a welding helmet harness (about 12 bucks for a good one). If you are interested do a search on ebay for….
US Military & Police Riot Face Shield for PASGT
Oh, the price range on-line for just the shield is $110 - $165.
Mike

Paul Atkins
08-24-2009, 2:36 PM
Looks like a bowling ball more than a 1" steel ball -----

curtis rosche
08-24-2009, 3:19 PM
garett and wade, i think thats the right magazine, has a face sheild that i think is even better. last time i looked it was $40 it it made of steel mesh, so there is no chance of anything but a bullet going through or shattering it. it doesnt fog. and there is a thick plexis glass peice to look through so that you arent trying to look through the mesh.

Wilbur Pan
08-24-2009, 3:28 PM
Looking online at one of the woodworking store they have one that looks OK for about $55 ($31 at Amazon). I started researched the specs and they were rated to withstand a one inch steel ball dropped 50 inches. Ok, maybe I should look more.

The physics geek in me awakes!

The speed of an object dropped 50 inches can be calculated. 50 inches is 1.27 meters. For a dropped object, d=1/2*g*t^2, so solving for t, that dropped object will cover 50 inches in 0.5 seconds.

Terminal velocity can be calculated by v=g*t, which gives you a final velocity of 4.9 meters per second. Convert that to US units, and you get just over 11 MPH.

The outside of a 8" bowl blank turning at 1000 RPM is 23.75 MPH. And I know people turn 8" bowl blanks faster than that. ;)

Quite the bargain! You definitely should look more. ;)

Michael Mills
08-24-2009, 4:30 PM
Yes, does look sorta like a bowling ball. Here is a picture of the inside.
Guess I didn’t state things clearly, I have already purchased the helmet as shown.
The mussel velocity for a 22-caliber rifle is about 1080 fps, so for this shield to stand up to 850 fps should be sufficient for woodturning. It isn’t bullet proof but it is close.
The shields actual rating is 259 meters per second (V-50 military rating), or per Wilbur’s calculations, 581 miles per hour. (259/4.9 X 11) My old shield would the 11 mph, if that high.
Both the one I purchased, and the shield alone (which I gave info on in the initial post) has a "Hard-coated/Anti-fog treatment and a V-50 military rating for fragmentation". I thought someone else may be interested in the shield which is still listed on ebay.
Mike

Mike Spanbauer
08-24-2009, 4:59 PM
Something to consider would be getting the visor protectors for the Trend Pro and using them on the shield to reduce scratches. That looks like it ought to work though.

mike

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2009, 8:23 PM
Looks like it will do the job. Looks really heavy duty.

Harvey M. Taylor
08-24-2009, 8:27 PM
Hey Wilbur, you told me much more than I ever wanted to know`. Thanky, Max

Steve Schlumpf
08-24-2009, 9:04 PM
Michael - congrats on your safety helmet score! Should work out well for you - but just the same - always try to stand out of the line of fire!