PDA

View Full Version : Beverage of choice

Donnie Raines
09-10-2004, 11:57 AM
My wife and I are hosting a grill out this weekend with some of our friends from high school. I have the cooking thing down pat....lamb chops, steaks and butterfly pork chops...no problem! Sadly we dont know much about beverages and what goes well with what. We dont drink much wine or beer...so our pallets could care less. We are thinking a varity of wines would be appropriate, but just not sure what brand, flavor etc.....

Again, the main coarse will be steak, lamb chops and or pork chops...they get to choose. We have a varity of sides....anything from the basic cole slaw all the way up to shrimp cocktail. Any suggestions would be great!

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Water, Tea, Mountain Dew or Coffee....those are our top drinks. But most of the folks I used to hang around with always said....a KEG on Ice goes with ANYTHING!!!! :eek: :D :D

Ed Falis
09-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Beer is always a good idea.

If you want to get into wine, since you're doing grilled red meats, red wines will go best. Any Shiraz or Petit Sirah, especially the Australian ones, will give you a decent value for the bucks - figure 10-14 a bottle for the right range (or try a spanish Rioja wine if you have the option). Depending on how many people you have coming, get a bottle or two of white just in case you have someone who doesn't drink red. Good choices are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Viogner, Fume Blanc. They're all on the dry side. Gewurtztraminer is pretty cool too, if you like something a touch sweeter and spicy (try one from Alsace in France - they're cheaper than the German ones). Again, no need to spend much more than 10-14 a bottle for something decent for dinner.

- Ed

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 1:24 PM
Beer is always a good idea.

If you want to get into wine, since you're doing grilled red meats, red wines will go best. Any Shiraz or Petit Sirah, especially the Australian ones, will give you a decent value for the bucks - figure 10-14 a bottle for the right range (or try a spanish Rioja wine if you have the option). Depending on how many people you have coming, get a bottle or two of white just in case you have someone who doesn't drink red. Good choices are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Viogner, Fume Blanc. They're all on the dry side. Gewurtztraminer is pretty cool too, if you like something a touch sweeter and spicy (try one from Alsace in France - they're cheaper than the German ones). Again, no need to spend much more than 10-14 a bottle for something decent for dinner.

- Ed

Sheeeesh...For a guy who starts out recommending beer, you're quite the wine afficianado! :eek:

Guess that's why I like it here in WI. We typically don't complicate stuff. You can have beer. If you don't care for that, you can have beer. Then again, there's always beer! :) At my house, the flavors range from MGD in cans to MGD in bottles. Occassionally, you may find a leftover Busch or two, 'cuz it's the cheapest around here and how else are you supposed to make brats?! :confused: WI folk have a slight history of liking their Brandy, as well, so you might get real lucky and find the fixin's for maybe a Brandy & Coke or something like that! :) Have fun with your party! :cool:

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 1:31 PM
I agree with Ed...Shiraz is very popular right now for good reason...it tastes good to most red wine drinkers. Robust enough for someone who likes the heavier reds and light enough for those who's pallet is more "delicate". For white, I generally keep a Pino Grigio around...even my mother likes it and she's a "White Zinfindel" (mass market rosé) kind of person. For the Shiraz, the Rosemount is reasonably priced and popular. For the Pino Grigio, Ecco Domani is very nice and quite inexpensive. IMHO, of course...

Red at room temp. White chilled. :D

Steve Jenkins
09-10-2004, 1:59 PM
Who cares about drinks what time is dinner:>)

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 2:04 PM
Red at room temp. White chilled. :D

Beer: Ice cold! :D Simple! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Donnie Raines
09-10-2004, 2:18 PM
Hey thanks for the replies thus far. I have printed out the recommded brands and will hit the local "provider" Saturday morning.

And by the way John....cold beer will be in the mix as well..... :rolleyes: :cool:

Rich Konopka
09-10-2004, 2:30 PM
I'm with John on the MGD. However, if you want something a bit more classy that goes with Pork Chop's.:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Try a Green Apple Martini. It is Easy to make and the Lady's just love them.

1 1/2 oz Skyy Vodka
1 oz Dekuypers sour apple schnapps
1 splash sweet and sour mix ( splash extra if you want to to pucker) :p

Shake with crushed ice.(remember a little 007: Shaken not stirred :cool: ) Strain into glass. Serve the sour apple martini in a martini glass. Float a paper thin slice of a Granny Smith apple as a garnish.

Enjoy and may the sun shine on your party !!

Chris Padilla
09-10-2004, 3:02 PM
Donnie,

How about just unreeling the hose and jerking a thumb to show people where the spigot is? :D

Funny thing, neither my wife or I drink wine yet we accumulate quite a few bottles during parties. We redistribute those to parties as well. :)

Juice, pop, water, and milk. That is about it at our place...no coffee either! ;)

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 3:12 PM
I'm with John on the MGD. However, if you want something a bit classy that goes with Pork Chop's.:rolleyes: ;) :cool:

WHAT???!!! :eek: MGD isn't classy?! :confused: Sniff....You've broken my spirit. :( So, what am I supposed to have with my next pizza or brats? :confused: I suppose Becker or Falis will jump in with their "Wine o' the Month" recommendation for pizza! :) Hmmmm...Pork chops. Well, brats are close, so I guess Green Apple Martini's with brats? Not sure that would go over too well at the next tailgate party, but who knows?! :rolleyes: :cool:

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 3:20 PM
John, most Kosher wine is best left for the appropriate holidays and other blessings...or when you feel a big craving for a lot of sugar with a touch 'o the spirits!

I had a Green Apple Martini at a place called JB's on the Beach in Deerfield Beach FL about a month ago. Not something I would normally drink since I don't really do hard-liquor, but it was quite good in most respects. But I think I'll stick to micro-brews and good wine...'doesn't have to be fancy-schmancy, just good.

BTW, pizza is best with a hearty red, but beer is better for that!

Chris Padilla
09-10-2004, 3:22 PM
Pizza and Pop!! :D A can of Coke and slice of pepparoni pizza bring a smile to my face every time! :D

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 3:27 PM

Ahhhh, so a Leine's Red (when in season) would be the PERFECT choice then, right? :) Man, I'm getting a dose of sophistication here! :D :cool:

Rich Konopka
09-10-2004, 6:14 PM
WHAT???!!! :eek: MGD isn't classy?! :confused: Sniff....You've broken my spirit. :( So, what am I supposed to have with my next pizza or brats? :confused: I suppose Becker or Falis will jump in with their "Wine o' the Month" recommendation for pizza! :) Hmmmm...Pork chops. Well, brats are close, so I guess Green Apple Martini's with brats? Not sure that would go over too well at the next tailgate party, but who knows?! :rolleyes: :cool:

oops. I stand corrected. Please view the corrected post.;)

Tyler Howell
09-10-2004, 6:15 PM
I am quite the wizard with the blender if I do say so. One Under (the table) and a Mud Slide are my specialties. Gets pricie for a crowd.

There was this very mysterious food fight while skiing in Colorado after some Apre Ski of Mud Slides:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chad Pater
09-10-2004, 6:43 PM
There was this very mysterious food fight while skiing in Colorado after some Apre Ski of Mud Slides:rolleyes: :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

Well as you would say...PICTURES!!! :p :eek: Next time there has to be pictures!

Joe Mioux
09-10-2004, 7:58 PM
This is great!!!! Not only are you ppl woodworking lovers but wine lovers as well!

Donnie I know you printed out some recommendations, but I might add two more. Personally, I like a nice Zinfandel with lamb. This will work with your steak as well.

For before dinner apertisers: a German Spatlese. This would also work well with some fresh fruit after dinner.

Also, ditto Ed's and Jim's recommendations

Joe

Jason Roehl
09-10-2004, 8:29 PM
I'll have to second the red wine/pizza combo. My wife and I discovered that one at the Pizza Hut lunch buffet quite a few years ago.

Mr. Miliunas, you're welcome down here anytime so that I can broaden your beer horizons. Be it one of my homebrews, a microbrew, or a good import, surely there's something out there that will get you off that goat...errrr...uhhh....swill (confession time: I used to drink quite a bit of MGD myself). I could smoke some brats for you, too (better than doing them in beer, IMHO).

As for my wine PALATE, I prefer the drier stuff. I can drink a sweet wine once in a while, like a Riesling, or even the boxed "chillable red," but unfortunately SWMBO doesn't care for dry wines, so I don't drink much wine, or I'd be drinking it a bottle at a time by myself (doable, but not wise).

Donnie Raines
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Wanted to say thanks for all the advise guys! I bought one or two bottles of the suggested red wine and a few of the "specials of the day" at the local beverage store. Just for kicks I went with the unltra classy Mike's hard lemonade for comic release...as it were...which turns out to be the masses favorite at our get toghther.

It appears that they too share in my lack of "culture"...if you would!... ;) :D

Thanks again!!!....the party went great!

JayStPeter
09-13-2004, 1:47 PM
Pizza and Pop!! :D A can of Coke and slice of pepparoni pizza bring a smile to my face every time! :D

Ahhh, nothing like a fine coke. Crack it open and sniff in the fine boquet. Swish it around and hear the fizz while the small droplets tickle the insides of your nostrils. Then, sip from the fine tin vessel and swish it gently over the taste buds, so as not to miss any of the sweet taste. Finally, swallow it down and rip a massive belch. Makes me thirsty just thinking about it.

I'm usually in a quandry with pizza. Coke and beer are both good. I definitely won't ruin a good pizza with wine.

BTW, if you come to my house and ask for a pop, you'll get a beer. Don't get me wrong, obviously I'm a big fan of coke/cola/soda. It's just that pop is a nickname for beer 'round here.

Jay

Chris Padilla
09-13-2004, 3:33 PM
Ah, Jay, I just *knew* there was something about you I liked! :D I may live a stone's throw from the infamous Napa and Sonoma Valleys but I do not like wine.

I like how the bubbles of Coke tickle one's nose upon a deep sniff and how a long pull can bring tears to one's eyes from the throat-burning sensation but that reverse of air from down deep brings a smile and a curl to my lips EVERY time! Yum! :D

Barley pop will get you beer in Colorado but pop and soda are the same thing far as I know. :)

James Carmichael
09-13-2004, 4:34 PM
What, no pitcher of Margaritas???

Jim Becker
09-13-2004, 4:42 PM
...but pop and soda are the same thing far as I know. This was exactly how we could tell from which part of the state folks were from when I was at Penn State. If they said, "pop", they were from Pittsburgh or somewhere in the western part of the state and if they said, "soda", they were from Philadelphia or somewhere in the east of the state. Beer was beer--none of those great micro-brews back then!

BTW, today, Coca Cola tastes NOTHING like it did back in the 1960s and 1970s when the small, local bottlers used fresh spring water to make it, etc. Oh, but it was good then. Not so today with the bottling being consolodated to large plants with city water and new "formulas". Different product all-together.

Larry Browning
09-13-2004, 6:52 PM
Does this thread kinda feel like that scene in the movie Bull Durham when they have the conference on the mound and are talking about everything except baseball? Like what to get a teammate for a wedding present, what wine goes with dinner? And then the manager says, "Now let's get this out and go bat awhile!!" or something like that. :)

Donnie Raines
09-14-2004, 8:44 AM
What, no pitcher of Margaritas???

Nope not this time......my wallet had already been dusted out when i bought all the main coarse..... :rolleyes:

Jake Byrd
09-14-2004, 4:14 PM
I have to say, since I am underaged any way, I would pick a cold orange soda over anything.:D

Jake

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 4:34 PM
Pinot Noir or Meritage.....California wine !

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-mNlYEB55xsJ:www.kobrandwine.com/labels/bzf006.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.kobrandwine.com/labels/bzf006.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.kobrandwine.com/prodbook/bzf006.html&h=270&w=288&sz=10&tbnid=-mNlYEB55xsJ:&tbnh=103&tbnw=109&start=34&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpinot%2Bnoir%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN)

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:dV1WIPSYTm8J:www.hahnestates.com/wines_he/images/he_96meritage.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hahnestates.com/wines_he/images/he_96meritage.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hahnestates.com/wines_he/he-archives/96Meritage.html&h=250&w=148&sz=14&tbnid=dV1WIPSYTm8J:&tbnh=104&tbnw=62&start=22&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmeritage%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN)

Kevin Arceneaux
09-14-2004, 4:43 PM
Jim - PSU Class of 79, Mng Eng

I like the Shiraz also. It is really a nice wine but it will not bust your wallet. When I want something upsacale I prefer Chateauneuf-de-pape. My favorite.

Beer - I like heavy beer - Bocks, stouts, dark ales.

I don't drink like I used to, only maybe a beer a week so I get the really good stuff.