PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blades and tires?

Randall Clark
08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I was given an old King-Seely Craftsman 12" bandsaw circa 1956. It's in good condition, however I think the bottom tire needs to be replaced. It has a nice groove in the front and forces the blade to stay in that groove. The 80 inch blade leaves much to be desired.
Here are the questions. Rockler's poly tires are backordered.
Is there another/better source for good bandsaw tires? Rubber or poly?
I would like to get a couple blades for the saw.
The manual says it will take 3/16 to 1/2 inch blades.
What two blades would be the best to get?
Is 1/2 inch pushing it with this saw?
What are cool blocks and do I need them?

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions. You guys have always been helpful with your comments.

David Christopher
08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I was given an old King-Seely Craftsman 12" bandsaw circa 1956. It's in good condition, however I think the bottom tire needs to be replaced. It has a nice groove in the front and forces the blade to stay in that groove. The 80 inch blade leaves much to be desired.
Here are the questions. Rockler's poly tires are backordered.
Is there another/better source for good bandsaw tires? Rubber or poly?
I would like to get a couple blades for the saw.
The manual says it will take 3/16 to 1/2 inch blades.
What two blades would be the best to get?
Is 1/2 inch pushing it with this saw?
What are cool blocks and do I need them?

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions. You guys have always been helpful with your comments.

Randall, its according to what you will be doing as to what size blades you will need....I use 1/4 and 1/2 blades the most and timberwolf and olsen blades have worked great for me......cool blocks are the blade guides that keep the blade running strait, you can get these at several places and have heard that some people make their own....the cool blocks are worth the money IMHO

Randall Clark
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
David,
Thanks for your help.

I plan on doing "normal" woodworking and cabinet work. I don't have much resawing capabilities with this saw. I also don't have a fence. I will probably make one. I would like to use the saw for smaller resawing and cutting curves in cabinetry. I was also thinking about a 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch. I assume the 1/2 inch is best for larger thicknesses and resawing, right? I am kind of new to the bandsaw.

How do you make cool blocks?

David Christopher
08-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Randell, I think the 1/4 and 1/2 will work for you...as far as the cool blocks go I think some people use phenolic and others use hardwood

phil harold
08-24-2009, 3:07 PM
on my delta ban saw it needed new tires
I was able to take the old tires off and and invert them

make the outside of the tire the inside

worked just fine for me