PDA

View Full Version : DC Motor Vibration

Darius Ferlas
08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
My DC saga is not over it seems. I am trying to determine if the motor of DC I bought a few days ago vibrates too much. It's a Steel City 65200 (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=5&tool=65200) and not exactly a discount type of a DC.

I have neither experience, nor a lot of comparison with other DCs. The only other DC I could hear and see in action is a General 1HP DC. It is very quiet and I can feel virtually no vibrations. I am not expecting my 1.5 HP to be as quiet. After all the 87dB rating's gotta be heard. But the vibrations are easily felt, and if you look. In fact, my DC moved away from the wall in my shop by about 4 inches after about 20 minutes of operation. Perhaps it would have gone further but there was a piece of wood that probably stopped it from that. I test run it to observe just that aspect and I could see it move on the casters away from the wall in a swivel sort of mode where the motor part of the base was stationary and the bag/filter part was inching towards me - very slowly but visibly.

Since the DC is advertised as having a precision balanced impeller for noise reduction and to limit the motor's wear I would have expected somewhat less vibes. Especially that there are no belts or any other intermediate connections/drive mechanisms to blame the vibes on. And I'm not sure the impeller chassis is strong enough to hold it in case something inside gives in.

I still have about 10 days to return/exchange but I don't want to appear as a trouble maker and malcontent.

How do I decide that the motor/impeller assembly vibrates excessively?
Is there a "nickel test" for a DC like they sometimes do for table saws?

David Christopher
08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Darius, I have a grizzly DC similar to the one that you have and mine does not viberate.....I have had viberation a time or two but a chunk of wood was caught in the impeller.....check yours to see if something is caught in the impeller, if not I would send it back for a new one

Darius Ferlas
08-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks David.

I think that's what I will do. The DC just makes me a bit uncomfortable.
I called Steel City tech support. Very courteous and helpful. The person on the other side of the phone told me to do the following:

- unplug the DC
- remove the hose covers
- visually examine the impeller for wobble
- check for the angle between the impeller wings and the base plat to which they are riveted. It should be exactly 90 degrees.

I will also make sure there are no strands of wood caught in the impeller wings.

Paul Wunder
08-24-2009, 3:25 PM
Darius,

I second the concept that the SC dust collector should not vibrate. I have the Delta 50-760 (also 1 1/2 hp) and it is "smooth as silk." No vibration, no shaking, and certainly no walking. If you are uncomfortable getting another SC, you may want to consider the Delta. It has been around for years, has a good rep and always scores at the top of all tests. Check out Fine Woodworking's DC test from a few years ago. Although it came with a one micron bag, I converted it to a cartridge with a Wynn filter and I am very pleased