PDA

View Full Version : Cermark Sources?

Todd Schwartz
08-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Need to replenish my Cermark supply. Went to LaserBits for pricing and saw that they want a $25 HazMat surcharge. Is this usual? Short of picking it up, is there a way to avoid this surcharge? Also, can someone recommend a source that may not be as pricey.

Thanks,

Todd

Dan Hintz
08-24-2009, 6:53 AM
Anything that contains alcohol will have a shipping surcharge... the carriers don't like shipping flammable stuff.

David Takes
08-24-2009, 6:19 PM
Todd,

The CerMark in the aerosol cans is exempt from that hazard materials charge. You will find these cans from most resellers at $74.95. I've seen Jorlink selling them on eBay for $69.95. I purchase them directly from Ferro.

Scott Shepherd
08-24-2009, 8:05 PM
Just had a quote for some paint I need shipped in. $25 Hazardous charge. They told me it's $25 a box, so it would be in my best interest to order more than one thing.

So I'm guessing $25 is the charge from the shipping folks, not the suppliers marking it up and taking advantage of it.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2009, 7:36 AM
So I'm guessing $25 is the charge from the shipping folks, not the suppliers marking it up and taking advantage of it.
Yes, it's the carriers, but I'm not so sure shippers aren't taking advantage of it, just like with any other charge. I believe UPS charges $20/shipment, but a quick Google search shows people charging $25-$30/shipment. Fedex (what i use) recently increased theirs from $20 to $22.50, but I still see non one charging $25 or $30. I guess the companies figure "Hey, I get charged for it, so I pass that charge along to you... plus a little extra for my own trouble." It appears the companies are charging us a premium for the annoyance of having to charge us more money. Isn't that convenient...

Todd Schwartz
08-25-2009, 9:20 PM
This whole flammable substance thing has gotten me thinking (with tongue severely planted in check). Why am I lasering something that is listed as flammable (and I pay a hefty surcharge to have it shipped to me) after I have diluted it with even more flammable substance (DNA)????? Hummm... makes one wonder. :cool:

Todd

AL Ursich
08-25-2009, 9:27 PM
I got a tub from Laser Bits about 6 years ago and paid the $25.00 bucks them... Look at it this way.... The price has NOT GONE UP..... in 6 years.

Never opened it.... Had a major delay in the business.... Only have 20 watts today so I have not tried it yet....

I believe if I add DNA it might still work 6 years later.....:D

Possibly.....

AL