PDA

View Full Version : Final posting of the knife box project - PICS

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 2:08 AM
Well....I am glad to say that it's finally over. Many of you have already read most of the story of how all this goes. So I'll keep it short.

1. Preparing to route the roundovers on all the edges of the box. It was backed with a piece of cherry scrap to prevent chipout.

2. The sanding process through 600 grit as prescribed by Ron. Belive me when I say that everything turn black when sanding this stuff and it easily clogs the sandpaper. :eek:

3. The front view of the closed box with little ebony "handle" to make it easier to open the box.

4. The rear view of the closed box. Those hinges are little "pen hinges" from LV.

5. The opened box with the accessories loaded into their respective homes.

Pics 6 & 6 on the next post.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 2:13 AM
6. The box with "the knife" in it's new home. ;) :D

7. A better shot of the knife.

The knife is actually a switchblade knife on one side and a black powered .177 caliber pistol on the other side. The inner barrel can be changed out to make it a rim fire 22 caliber pistol. The knife was made over a 2 year time frame and was made by Master Bladesmith, Mr. Ron Newton.

The box isn't anything to scream about if you go by appearances only. But if you go by the accuracy required to do this kind of "mirro image" work? You will have your hands FULL!!!! :confused: :eek:

Thanks for all your support, encouragement and for allowing me to share my most recent ww experience with a fine bunch of people. ;) :D

Tyler Howell
09-10-2004, 3:33 AM
Truly a home fitting for a fine work of art. You did it buddy!

Does your knife maker have a Web sight. Like to see more of his/her work. Only in your boxes of course!:p ;)

James Giordano
09-10-2004, 4:08 AM
Pretty sweet dennis :D

Bobby McCarley
09-10-2004, 6:51 AM
Well Dennis,
You did it. The box turned out top notch as I knew it would, but personally, I think the wooden hinges would have looked better. But we must do what we must do to make the customer happy.

Now you can kick back, put your feet up and take a well deserved break.

Bobby McCarley
Louisiana

Brad Schmid
09-10-2004, 8:08 AM
Nice work Dennis!

I've admired Ron Newton's skill and creativity at his craft and to say I "know the guy" who does work worthy of showcasing his work... well, let's just say... impressed and honored :cool:

Consider this a standing ovation for your effort and it's result :)

Tyler - I don't know if he has his own website, but Ron's work is "plastered" all over the internet at high end custom knife gallery sites. You should be able to easily find other examples of his work. He does impressive work inlaying gems and precious metals, not to mention scaling and blade coloring/patterning. Hopefully we'll start seeing them displayed in Dennis' custom cases very soon!

Brad

Dick Parr
09-10-2004, 8:30 AM
Dennis, Job well done. ;) You did a great job on this one and it sounds like you will get to make more. Very nice. :D

Terry Hatfield
09-10-2004, 9:04 AM
d,

Truly a work of art. You should be very proud of your fine craftsmanship!!!

t

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 9:07 AM
Congratulations on a job well-done, Dennis. And it's good to be associated with such "pros" considering the potential business. Even if it's not high volume, it's challenging work that will contribute to everthing you do in the shop. Nice job!

Tyler Howell
09-10-2004, 9:25 AM
Thanks Brad, In addition to the plugged toyls I have a nice collection of the sharp and dangerous. Don't think I'm in this league but I like to look.:cool:

Nice work Dennis!

I've admired Ron Newton's skill and creativity at his craft and to say I "know the guy" who does work worthy of showcasing his work... well, let's just say... impressed and honored :cool:

Consider this a standing ovation for your effort and it's result :)

Tyler - I don't know if he has his own website, but Ron's work is "plastered" all over the internet at high end custom knife gallery sites. You should be able to easily find other examples of his work. He does impressive work inlaying gems and precious metals, not to mention scaling and blade coloring/patterning. Hopefully we'll start seeing them displayed in Dennis' custom cases very soon!

Brad

Zahid Naqvi
09-10-2004, 9:40 AM
You did great dude, the fit is excellent.

Steve King
09-10-2004, 9:47 AM
Dennis,
Great job, I’ll bet you’re glad that’s behind you. Now you can go back to working with real wood:D
Steve

Brad Schmid
09-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks Brad, In addition to the plugged toyls I have a nice collection of the sharp and dangerous. Don't think I'm in this league but I like to look.:cool:

Way outa' my league too :eek:

I think the least expensive knife of his I've seen was around $800. His stuff is more commonly $2500 & up and I'm sure much more for this one which has integral firepower :cool:

Speaks volumes for his confidence in Dennis' work!
Brad

Donnie Raines
09-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Me likes......very nice. I enjoy viewing projects like this....kinda gets the creative juices flowing.

Tom Sweeney
09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Well done. Like the others said it speaks volumes about your work that a craftsman of this caliber appreciates it - & well he should.
Hope you're getting some rest cause it sounds like you're going to be going through the same thing next month for the show boxes :cool: :D

Stan Thigpen
09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Great case Dennis. Is the knife Damascus steel?

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Way outa' my league too :eek:

I think the least expensive knife of his I've seen was around $800. His stuff is more commonly $2500 & up and I'm sure much more for this one which has integral firepower :cool:

Speaks volumes for his confidence in Dennis' work!
Brad

Brad,

I'm not sure I can "post" the selling price of this knife....but I will say at $2500 for this knife is WAY-WAY short of the real selling price. And Yes...it is sold. :D

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Great case Dennis. Is the knife Damascus steel?

Yes it is. Ron makes all his on steel. I got to swing a 22" Bouy (spell?) knife yesterday that was just "out of this world".!!!!

Steve Plunkett
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Truly impressive, Mr. Peacock!

Tyler Howell
09-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Brad,

I'm not sure I can "post" the selling price of this knife....but I will say at $2500 for this knife is WAY-WAY short of the real selling price. And Yes...it is sold. :DDennis, It had nothing to do with the Knife. It was the presentation case that gave it so much value. :cool:
If you posted I missed it. What were the accessories we see in the pix? Can't quite make them out.
Do you have a pix of the open blade we can see??;)

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-10-2004, 1:12 PM
Very nice work Dennis, Thanks for shareing the process with us.

Roger

John Miliunas
09-10-2004, 1:15 PM
See. Told 'ya so...All that worrying for nuthin'! :rolleyes: Like they say in the movin' picture shows: "That's a wrap!" :D You done good, just like I (and many others) had predicted. It's a great looking display box and after all the sweating, you have every right to be proud! OK, well at least, *we're* proud o' you! :D Carry on.... :cool:

Mark J Bachler
09-10-2004, 1:21 PM
http://www.bladegallery.com/knives/maker.asp?code=42&display=Ron+Newton,%20M.S.

Two of the finest craftsmen I've seen.

Dennis; your skills & abilities are only surpassed by your patience & eye for detail.

You should be proud.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 6:09 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. Ron has said that he will help me develop the skills and get the tools I need to produce what he needs in custom knife boxes. It just means that I will have to get another piece of equipement to do what needs to be done (Pantograph).

Tyler,

The accessories are three little "tubes" with black rubber caps.

1. Holds the .177 cal pellets for the gun.
2. Holds the black powder for the gun.
3. Holds the copper "caps" for firing the gun.
4. Is the cleaning rod for the gun and its barrel.

Chris Padilla
09-10-2004, 6:20 PM
Dennis,

Gun?? What gun? I thought this was a knife??? :confused:

Jim Ketron
09-10-2004, 7:01 PM
Great job Dennis!

Do you have any pics of the wooden hinges and how you made them? It sucks that you didn't get to use them:rolleyes:
Jim

Scott Coffelt
09-10-2004, 7:08 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Now explaining that one to the police. Sir are you carrying a weapon, ummm officer why yes I am, can you guess what? Sire is that a knife? Officer, well maybe. Sir, is it a knife? Officer, it is but... But what? it's also a gun..... Freeze Mister.....

My luck I'd try to open the knife to cut rope and shoot myself in the foot.

Price... probably talking in the eurosaw range, hey that's a way to tell us. Say the tool and we'll figure the price.

Now Dennis, too bad he wouldn't let you bring that knife to the BBQ next week. I'd trade some wood for it :D .

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 7:29 PM
Great job Dennis!

Do you have any pics of the wooden hinges and how you made them? It sucks that you didn't get to use them:rolleyes:
Jim

Jim,

The wooden hinges are in a post, like Day 5 of the knife box project. Should be on page 3 or 4 of the ww forum by now. I'll be posting details on how to make them later on.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 7:32 PM
Dennis,

Gun?? What gun? I thought this was a knife??? :confused:

Chris,

One half the knife is a switchblade knife. The other half of the "knife" is actually a blackpower .177 caliber pistol and can be converted to a 22 caliber pistol just by changing out the barrel. It is now a black power gun so it can be legally transported. ;)

John Shuk
09-10-2004, 7:33 PM
Very nice work Dennis.
Any chance of getting one or both of those "Bladesmiths" to make some custom marking knives? Might be something I'm interested in.

Dennis Peacock
09-10-2004, 7:49 PM
Very nice work Dennis.
Any chance of getting one or both of those "Bladesmiths" to make some custom marking knives? Might be something I'm interested in.

Depends on what you want and how much money you have.! :eek: These guys are NOT cheap and their cheapest knife is in the HUNDREDS of dollars. I'll ask Ron and see.

John Shuk
09-10-2004, 9:09 PM
That might be a little rich for my blood. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of limited production run with unique wooden handles.Maybe some 'Creekers might like to jump aboard.

Tom Sweeney
09-11-2004, 12:19 AM
That might be a little rich for my blood. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of limited production run with unique wooden handles.Maybe some 'Creekers might like to jump aboard.

You might want to also check with our own Dave Anderson. He makes beautiful marking knives with exotic wood handles. You'll likely find him over in that forum where they don't use lectricity ;)
Looks like he doesn't have the chester toolworks web site up yet but you can pm him from here.

Jack Diemer
09-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Great job!!

Tyler Howell
09-11-2004, 8:55 AM
I have 2 of Dave's Stiking knives. One I put into service and the other just sits and looks pretty:cool:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11465

Very nice work Dennis.

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2004, 9:20 AM
Here is another shot of the knife...looking at the end of the knife.

Dennis Peacock
09-11-2004, 9:10 PM
I don't know if I have a "good" pic of the knife with the blade open or not. I'll have to look and see what I have and will post it if I have one.

Kurt Aebi
09-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Dennis, Fantastick Job! That box looks great! No wonder you had to handle the knife with gloves, Damascus is so very easily prone to rust. I am amazed at how well you worked under this kind of pressure. What kind of finish did you use (sorry if I missed it along the way).

Great Job! And I can't wait for the tutorial on the wooden hinges - I definiteley would have chose those over the bullet hunges.

John Shuk
09-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks Tom and Tyler. I might just do that.

Dan Mages
09-12-2004, 9:17 PM
That is beautiful project. I am not worthy!!

BTW.. Its a Bowie knife. Its named after Jim Bowie of Wild West fame.

Dan