PDA

View Full Version : Putting Together A Viable Hobby Shop for $1K

Will Hon
08-23-2009, 6:29 PM
So, about two years ago I decided I wanted to get into woodworking. I have access to another shop, and was just trying to feel out the craft, so investing a bunch of money my own equipment wasn't at the top of my list. Long story short, I really loved it, and as of 3 months ago I decided that I was tired of lugging wood from A to B, back again, and maybe having to wait on someone else to get off whatever machine I needed.

My first obstacle was money... of course. I don't have a lot, but I didn't want to skimp on equipment and be left wishing I had something bigger, more powerful, more capable, etc. I knew I was probably going to have to buy used, but that wasn't such a big deal since machines tend to depreciate so rapidly. So, I set a budget of $1,000 and under no circumstances would I exceed it. This was to get me the basic "necessities" for a hobby shop.

Here are the fruits of my 3 month search through auctions, craigslist, sales, and anywhere else I could possibly find equipment. In the order I acquired the tools...

New Tools
Grizzly G1023SL w/ Excalibur Overhead Armguard - $500
Grizzly G0505 12.5" Planer - $100
Grizzly G0500 8" Jointer - $350
Delta 50-720 Dust Collector - $50

Already Owned
DeWalt DW706 Double Compound Miter
Bosch 1617 EVS ROuter

Just For Fun - "They were rust buckets, but what the heck"
Stanley Bailey #5 - $10
Stanley #4C - $8
Stanley Block Plane - free

I couldn't have hit the nail on the head any more precisely! I spent my entire limit, but I felt as though I got pretty good bang for the buck, and in the end I am pretty happy. Thanks to everyone on here who helped me out along the way!

David Christopher
08-23-2009, 6:52 PM
Will, it looks like you have done your homework. I would say that you have done well except you went over budget by 18 dollars LOL....all the machines look really good

congrats

Gary Lange
08-23-2009, 7:05 PM
You managed some real deals in those purchases. That is a nice start and they should serve you very well.

Dan Friedrichs
08-23-2009, 7:20 PM
That's very well done. You managed to buy several major tools you'll need, without resorting to buying cheap "junk" that won't hold its value. In this case, I bet you could sell all this equipment and make significant profit over what you spent. Well done!

Duane McGuire
08-23-2009, 8:39 PM
What's your day job? Purchasing agent for Mr. Scrooge?

I need you to buy me some tools!

Good job!

Andy Haney
08-23-2009, 8:59 PM
Well done Will. I see you're only about 20-25 miles away from me. While I don't have any magnificent skills or equipment, I'd be happy to assist you any way I can. I only have a 6" jointer, so I may be calling on you some time!

Andy

Will Hon
08-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

What's your day job? Purchasing agent for Mr. Scrooge?

lol. Maybe just a stiff negotiator. It was really just a lot of patience and constant checking on craigslist. I purchased all three of the Grizzly products withing 2 hours of them being listed.

I would say that you have done well except you went over budget by 18 dollars LOL

haha, I guess I didn't think about that. I'll put up some photos of them tomorrow. They have turned out real nice so far.

I also spent $40 on plywood to build that snipe table for the planer... but it just makes the little lunchbox so much more functional ya know?

Kev Godwin
08-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Will,
That is a wonderful start for a low-cost shop. Perhaps you already have a hand drill but have you considered a drill press? I use my small one a lot and I picked mine up on closeout for $50. - a little 12 inch Delta I found new in a farm store.
Kev

Michael Schwartz
08-24-2009, 4:56 AM
thats a pretty incredible assortment of equipment for the money, you did well. Congratulations and have fun with your equipment :cool:

John Keeton
08-24-2009, 7:15 AM
....except you went over budget by 18 dollars....David, it was the planes - it is always the planes, just one more plane, it's only $8, just one more.....:D

Will, some great tools, at great prices. But, I hate to break it to you - this is just the beginning!

Prashun Patel
08-24-2009, 8:19 AM
That Griz 1023 with the Excalibur guard is worth at least $1000 by itself...

Adam Cavaliere
08-24-2009, 11:07 AM
At first I thought you were going to be asking for help finding tools for that price. I thought there was no way you could find much for that low of an amount. Well lets just say I am VERY impressed!

John Schreiber
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
You've done really well. Next project? I'd suggest a good solid workbench.

You will find a lot of use for those planes too.

Matthew Joe
08-24-2009, 1:06 PM
You should give lessons in keeping a shop clean, as well as advising the rest of us on snagging great deals! What I would give to have that much maneuvering space in my shop!

Mike Cruz
08-24-2009, 1:38 PM
+1 on its only the beginning

+1 on needing a bench next

+1 on great job on deals.

+1 on I thought you were going to ask for advice, too. I see you didn't need it!

Great job!

Ray Peterson
08-24-2009, 1:58 PM
Where are the clamps you always need clamps :D

Good job you did a fantastic job on what you have now, quickly save the next 1000 and the next 1000 and the .................

Philip Rodriquez
08-24-2009, 4:47 PM
Admin, we need this entire thread deleted before our families read it! :eek:

Seriously, you are amazing... wow!

Matt Stiegler
08-24-2009, 5:35 PM
Interesting post, Will. My decision to bite the bullet and equip a basement shop was about a year ago. Reading your post got me wondering how my effort compares.

I've also gotten a couple things used: 8" grizzly G1018HW jointer for $300, 15" jet JWP15CS planer for $400, and a decrepit Craftsman bandsaw for $100.

Most of my purchases have been new: grizzly cabinet saw, 1.5 hp Delta dust collector, Delta bench DP, MW router kit, Bosch ROS, Bosch li-ion driver, Senco portable compressor & nailer, Ridgid bench oscillating sander, Kreg K3, Incra miter gauge, LN block plane, two vices, an LV chisel set, and all manner of clamps, blades, bits, casters, fasteners, abrasives, and the like. Plus books.

I also inherited a nice bench and a miter saw and already had a few hand power tools.

Adding it all up now, I'm alarmed to report that I come in in the neighborhood of 5 grand (:eek:), with at least one major purchase (a real bandsaw) still to come. Far from clear that spending five times as much has gotten me five times as much shop as you've got, Will. Damn expensive hobby.

Bill White
08-24-2009, 6:52 PM
And then there is MORE!!!!! Some really good saw blades, then.......:eek:
Bill

Mike Heidrick
08-24-2009, 7:15 PM
You need clamps and wood and wood storage now!

Great job.

Will Hon
08-24-2009, 7:48 PM
Perhaps you already have a hand drill but have you considered a drill press?:) well... actually, my old man has a HUGE old Buffalo Drill Press that someone left in his shop years ago that he says I can have. I've fired it up and it runs great, but loading it will be a bear.

You've done really well. Next project? I'd suggest a good solid workbenchHaha, funny you say that, because its my next project, or possible a folding outfeed table... who knows, I guess no one noticed the stack of Oak behind the jointer and Miter saw!

Where are the clamps you always need clamps guess I forgot to include a photo of those too... not the best repertoire yet I guess, but it works. I really like the Quick Grips, might pick up some larger ones soon.

And then there is MORE!!!!! Some really good saw blades, then......you guys catch everything! But the 1023SL came with what you see below :D

it is always the planes, just one more plane, it's only $8, just one more.....EXACTLY! I wish I had before and after pictures of the #5, but lets just say it was gross when I got it, and the #4C is still a work in progress....

Oh, and the Crosscut sled and Vertical Tenon Jig are extremely useful, I reach for the sled ALOT!