PDA

View Full Version : Walnut hole filler

Scott C. Williams
08-23-2009, 4:49 PM
I have a walnut gentlemens dresser of which the top was nailed to the dresser frame. The top also had a large split that I have repaired. I am now ready to apply finish, but first want to fill the approx 1/8 dia. nail holes. Other then common filler available at the local box stores what is recommended to blend in with the existing wood?

Scott Holmes
08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Well I'm not sure why there are 1/8" nail holes...

I would seal with garnet shellac (I like GS on walnut) then add color to the fill to get close to the color of ther top with the shellac... Then seal it in with another coat of GS. Then, top coat.

Another option is to add color to an epoxy and fill with epoxy. Make sure you let the epoxy build above the surface so you can shave it level; hopefully this remove any bubbles or flaws in the epoxy. Then seal it in with another coat of GS. Then, top coat.

Paul Murphy
08-24-2009, 9:30 PM
I have not tried all of these methods or products, but have kept them in mind for possible future needs.
Some options:
1) Sand some walnut scraps, and mix the dust with liquid hide glue. You will be close to the correct color, and hide glue is said to accept stain fairly well.
2) Famowood Filler (walnut, available in water based, and also in solvent based) is pretty good, although you will probably have to stain the repair.

Stephen Musial
08-24-2009, 9:58 PM
1) Cut a plug (face grain) and fill the hole. Match the grain direction, glue it in place, plane it even and pencil in any needed grain.

2) Walnut sawdust and hide glue.

Todd Carpenter
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Scott,

1/8" holes? They must have used small railroad spikes for that one. You might consider highlighting the holes instead of trying to hide them with something like 1/8" brass rods or maybe even some of the liquid inlays - just a thought...