PDA

View Full Version : Burled Oak Form

Ken Glass
08-23-2009, 1:46 PM
Hey Gang,
Here is a burled Oak form I just finished. The wood was a real bargain at $6. I hope I did it justice. It is 6" wide and 8-1/2" tall overall. The pedestal is ebonized Walnut. Sorry about the picture quality. I really need to get some better lighting. Anyway critiques and comments are always welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2009, 1:51 PM
Ken - that sure is an interesting piece! Very nice job keeping all the bark! Balanced form, good wood color contrasts and your finish highlights the wood without a lot of glare. Nice work!

curtis rosche
08-23-2009, 2:08 PM
that is a relly awsome peice. my critique
you said the lighting was bad, but that can sometimes be a good thing. because of the lighting, i noticed if you look closley in a couple spots (right around where the light reflection is), you can see that the finish isnt completly smooth, but the wood is, like where the finish soaked it in some spots and layed on top on other spots. i dont know if you have buffed the peice yet or not or if you plan on it. but if i were you, i would smooth that finish out or put some more and and then smooth, to make it like glass. on any other peice i wouldnt look twice. but on this peice, it just looks so cool that you look really close at it and you wouldnt want that to show up.

you asked for and that is just what caught my eye. everything else about it looks great. good job

Ken Glass
08-23-2009, 2:24 PM
Curtis,
Thanks for your comments. There is no finish on this piece. It is only two part Beall buffed with Tripoli and Carnuba Wax. . The Burled Wood is naturally rough.

Mike Stephens
08-23-2009, 2:38 PM
Beautiful Ken.

Curt Fuller
08-23-2009, 3:20 PM
Oh Man, that is pretty!

Bill Bolen
08-23-2009, 3:31 PM
That awfully pretty Ken! Guess it will take a spot of honor on your shelf. It sure would on mine...Bill..

curtis rosche
08-23-2009, 3:48 PM
no finish!? wow that looks really really good for no finish

Skip Spaulding
08-23-2009, 4:09 PM
Very, very nice, I like the NE and the contrast.Probably double your money!;)

John W Dixon
08-23-2009, 5:29 PM
Ken, Very nice, love the look of that burl!

John

Chris Rae
08-23-2009, 5:59 PM
Great job!! I love the NE on it, and a cool piece of wood!

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2009, 9:31 AM
Ken that is one pretty piece. I really like the look of it with no finish. Well done.

Steve Mawson
08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Really nice, how do you attach the piece to the pedestal?

Mark Hubl
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Nice. Good job keeping all that bark on! Looks very good. Did you ebonize the walnut with vinegar/steel wool?

Ken Glass
08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Steve,
The pedestal is not yet affixed to the form, but I will probably glue it with CA to keep from having someone drop it. It is kind of fragile.

Mark,
I used Min-Wax Black Ebony stain, two coats and then rattle can lacquer three coats.