PDA

View Full Version : Another Veneer Question

matt norton
08-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I have to put a new teak veneer face on a door, about 32"x6', off of a customers Yacht. I do a lot of interior work on boats but this is my first veneer, always solid teak, Mahog. etc.. The veneer is wood backed so I was planning on the iron on method but would like some advice or a link to a site maybe with some tips on the procedure, Temp. setting of iron, how long to let set before ironing, and best type of glue,etc. Or if there is another method I should use. This will be a one time deal so cant justify a vacuum setup. Thanks in advance!! Matt

David DeCristoforo
08-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I would not use any "iron on method" for work on a boat. Pressing with a good marine grade adhesive is the only option I would consider. Even though, as you say, this is a "one time deal", having a vacuum press would not be a bad thing for future use. You can build one for a very reasonable outlay using parts available from "Joe Woodworker" (dot com) and a few hours of time. Check out their site for plans and pictures of shop built presses. Bags are easy and very inexpensive to make....