PDA

View Full Version : Extension Table for General Saw

Paul Dell'Anno
09-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Almost finished setting up the new toy (General left tilt contractor saw. Once the saw is finished, I will post some pix.). I want to build an extension table to fill in the gap left by the 50" rails. For the frame I have some un-used 3" poplar in the shop. I took a trip to the local HD to price materials for the top and walked away after 20 minutes with more questions than supplies. I planned on using using 3/4" plywood or particle board and a sheet of laminate (countertop material) for the top, but the laminate was very pricey. I strolled around and found 8' x 4' sheets of 3/4" particle board laminated with a white material on both faces. Will this work for the top? If so, any ideas on how to fasten the top to the frame? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg Heppeard
09-09-2004, 10:25 PM
IMHO solid poplar will move too much. I think it would be better to use baltic birch and frame it with strips of poplar. You might also try a local cabinet shop and see if they have any sink cut outs you could use. You could attach it between the front and rear rail of your saw, there's no need to attach it to the cast wing itself. I know that Powermatic and Delta only attach to the rails.

Bruce Page
09-09-2004, 11:01 PM
Paul, you don’t list where you live but here in the dry climate of New Mexico, I used popular for the base of my table extension without any problems. I also built my cutoff table using the melamine covered particle board that you mentioned. I mounted the outfeed table to the rear rail of my Unisaw (see Pics). I built the table about 4 years ago and so far, it has stood up well.

Paul Dell'Anno
09-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Bruce, thanks for the info. I live in Connecticut, so I do not know what "dry" means. I plan on using poplar for the frame and the melamine tables looks good on your saw. Did you use the iron on banding for the edges? Also, did how did you attach the top to the frame?

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 9:17 AM
Paul, the poplar will be just fine for the supporting frame...I use it all the time due to a "profuse" supply on-hand. The melamine (white covered particle board) will work just fine for your right extension table between the rails. In fact, the factory table on my Jet LT cabinet saw is made with similar material. Laminate will hold up better, but the melamine is tough stuff for the most part. If you like Bruce's outfeed system, I have a free plan on my site for a similar one. It's a little more cumbersome to use with a contractors' style saw, but some folks have successfully used it. (The issue is access to the trunions when you need to do table alignment...unless you have gorilla arms that are several feet longer than most of us have! :D )

Greg Heppeard
09-10-2004, 9:28 AM
Paul,
I'm sorry, I missread your post. I read it as doing the whole thing out of poplar. Using it for the framing would work great, as you posted Jim does make a good point about laminate holding up better than melamine. If you wear the melamine thru, you can sand it down and glue formica or something like that over it, then turn the table around and refasten it to your saw.

Jim Becker
09-10-2004, 9:32 AM
I'll also add that while a sheet of laminate costs between $40 and $50, it doesn't go bad and you'll likely use every bit up over time for additional projects. For example, one sheet will cover both your extension table and any outfeed solution you decide to do as well as some other things, etc. Just store it with your sheet goods to keep it from getting the edges chipped. (Don't you love it how we can so easily spend your money for you???!!! :D)

Joe Mioux
09-10-2004, 6:41 PM
Hi Paul:

Here is what I did. The thin legged bench is really light weight and it fits snug between the rails. The top is melamine particle board and the legs are scrap pine. I used pocket screws to join. I can use it in back of the saw and between the rails.

Tyler Howell
09-10-2004, 9:12 PM
Very Flexible set up there Joe. Looks like good help too.:cool:

Joe Mioux
09-11-2004, 6:53 AM
Hi Tyler:

Very Flexible set up there Joe. Looks like good help too.:cool: Yea, it works pretty well, in addition to the TS use, I use that table for the DP, CMS and assembly as well. As you can see in the background, I'm building some cabinets, a roll around tool caddy and a workbench, so in the future, the little table will get used less.

And yes she is good help, She is one of four of my little helpers. Jennifer, in the pic, wants me to make her a bookcase.

Joe

Tyler Howell
09-11-2004, 7:57 AM
Hey Joe,
Looks like we have another have candidate for the Terry Hatfield Pristine Shop Award!:p
And Jennifer should have a custom book case by her dad for all her hard work.:cool: