PDA

View Full Version : Following Joshua's "which router"...?'s

Kevin Andrist
08-23-2009, 8:23 AM
Which table-use router is the easiest to use WITHOUT a router lift?

How about the Milwaukee 5625-20 fixed base with the T-Handle adjustment?

Other options?

Just how much of a pain is a high hp(3-ish), low cost (name brand) router to use in a router table..sorry I'ma noob in this area.

Fred Hargis
08-23-2009, 9:08 AM
Any of the new models with the built in table adjustment are very nice. I've had a Freud 1700, and found it great, but I also have a Milwaukee 5616 and think it may be a bit better (little more smooth). But I used my Freud FT2000 for several years without a lift and used the factory knob to move it up and down from under the table. Funny thing, when I was doing that I didn't realize I needed a router lift.

Mike Heidrick
08-23-2009, 9:13 AM
I had a PC 7518 (multi speed fixed base router) in a plexiglass table insert in my Delta saw extension table before my current setup. There was a finger hole, I just lifted it out, set the height, and set it back in. Worked fine. Allowed me to add it to a lift latter on (made a new table) and then eventually a stand alone router table. A great router that made it into three setups. I would buy a 7518 or Milwaukee 5625 and it will "evolve" with your different table needs.

Now have the 5625 and sold the 7518 to a friend who needed a good table router. Both are great.

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2009, 9:36 AM
Hello,
I'm 100% satisfied w/my Freud 1700.
It's not a 3+ HP, but since all my table routing is done at the end of an extension cord, HP is a non-issue.

All my other 15 amp tools pay a hefty price whenever I plug them into even a short (10') 12 ga. extension.

The 14 amp Freud 1700 doesn't mind it at all.

ian maybury
08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm about to order one so can't sepak from experience, but the likes of a De Walt 625EK fitted with a Router Raizer http://www.routertechnologies.com/images/de%20walt%20table1%20.jpg seems to give you pretty much the same functionality as those very expensive machined alloy router lifts.

Maybe add a collet extender from the same people to ease cutter changes...

Jim Rimmer
08-23-2009, 3:39 PM
But I used my Freud FT2000 for several years without a lift and used the factory knob to move it up and down from under the table. Funny thing, when I was doing that I didn't realize I needed a router lift.
I'ver got the same router in my table and figure I can bend over and adjust the knob underneath many, many times for what a lift costs.

Joel Goodman
08-23-2009, 8:12 PM
I have a PC fixed base and I don't mind reaching below to adjust the height -- but maybe I'm old fashioned.