PDA

View Full Version : Missing Post

George M. Perzel
08-23-2009, 3:40 AM
Hi Guys;
There was a post on here a few days ago from someone looking for wood medallions-now seems to be missing unless I'm having one of those moments again....
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Dan Hintz
08-23-2009, 7:15 AM
Hmmmm, it appears to have gone missing, indeed. I posted a couple of replies in that thread, and it doesn't show up in my list of posts. I don't even see a "moved" tag anywhere, so the thread had to have been deleted... maybe someone slipped in some advertising?

Keith Outten
08-23-2009, 7:19 AM
The thread was moved to the classified forum because it is a want ad.

George M. Perzel
08-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi keith;
I guess I'm a bit confused-there are a lot of posts on here where someone wants something-why is this an issue on this one?
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Null
08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
George

It's often a tough call as to whether something belongs in the classifed forum or to leave it here or to delete it as unauthorized advertising. We're trying to keep each forum within it's own subject matter and it's often a gray area as to how to handle things.

I was the person who originally questioned the post as being a help wanted ad and therefore not allowed. Other moderators weighed in and felt it might be a classifed ad. Keith moved it to that forum.

I realize this is a long way around to tell you that each of the moderators may hold a slightly different view on certain posts but we trying to moderate with a light touch yet within the TOS.

George M. Perzel
08-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Mike;
Thanks for the reply but am even more confused. What is the difference between the missing post (request for medallions) and the link below (request for triangle award).??
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118724

Keith Outten
08-23-2009, 1:07 PM
George,

The triangle thread is someone asking for an outside supplier.
The medalion thread is primarilly a request for someone here to make them which is a classified advertisement.

George M. Perzel
08-23-2009, 2:30 PM
Keith;
That's slicing things a bit thin- your response to the triangle request was no different than my response to the medallion request.
I certainly see the need to eliminate driect advertising but see nothing wrong with responding to someones inquiry-whether for some service, something to be made, clipart, pen sets (recent), etc-that's exactly what you did.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

George M. Perzel
08-23-2009, 2:49 PM
Mike/Keith/ et al;
I don't want to make this a bigger issue than it already is but ;
1. The "missing post" is truly missing-can't find it in Classified nor does it turn up on a search.
2. It seems this "policy" is applied in different ways by different folks- why was this post allowed ?(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116537&highlight=medallions). Seems like exactly the same thing for the same item ????
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Frank Corker
08-23-2009, 5:01 PM
I don't want to upset the applecart here either, but we really could do with a seperate area for the wants of the laser engravers, without the need to trawl through other woodworking stuff. I have to confess I have hardly even ventured outside of the Engravers Forum since I have been a member, but even finding the classifieds is not that easy because that forum isn't clearly marked.

Darren Null
08-23-2009, 5:46 PM
A thread like the medallion one is fine as long as it's just the original post. But you can't answer it without pimping your services and thus breaking the TOS.

Unless, that is, you use the PM system and just post 'check your PM' or similar.

Tim Bateson
08-23-2009, 7:05 PM
I agree with Frank. A sub-Folder for Classifieds under the Engravers Forum would be nice. These types of queries would go there as well as equipment for sale or wanted. This would be handy and isolate classifieds that are specifically directed at engravers.

Dee Gallo
08-23-2009, 7:34 PM
I agree with Frank. A sub-Folder for Classifieds under the Engravers Forum would be nice. These types of queries would go there as well as equipment for sale or wanted. This would be handy and isolate classifieds that are specifically directed at engravers.

Or a sticky for an engraving exchange like the one for Braille sign software? That way it's always at the top of the list.

Scott Shepherd
08-23-2009, 8:08 PM
If you have ideas for improvements, you might want to start a thread in the "Forum Tech Support" area. Otherwise, the right people might miss this post. I agree with some others, I almost never look at the classified section because it's 99.9% woodworking tools and .1% lasers. So I've probably missed some good buys at some point.

Frank, Tim, express your ideas in that section and let's see if we can get some things changed.

Keith Outten
08-24-2009, 6:37 AM
My question concerning a special forum for engravers classifieds is what will I say when the CNC group or the Turners start requesting private classified forums?

Dan Hintz
08-24-2009, 6:59 AM
My question concerning a special forum for engravers classifieds is what will I say when the CNC group or the Turners start requesting private classified forums?
Tell 'em they should have thought of it first :D

I've only been in the classifieds section a handful of times, but every time I go in I realize some of the good deals I've missed on equipment. Not a huge woodworker (yet), but I like to dabble, and having quality equipment in the workshop makes me feel important ;)

Scott Shepherd
08-24-2009, 8:28 AM

You tell them "Sure" and give it to them :)

Dave Johnson29
08-24-2009, 9:46 AM

Well Keith,

As much as I hate making waves, the classified section is called "Woodworkers Classifieds" so the wood workers already have their section.

Given that, why would anyone interested in buying engraving stuff be looking there?

We know to look there because we have been told that is where ALL classifieds go. Anyone not familiar with the board is never going to look there for a used laser or laser work.

Dan Hintz
08-24-2009, 10:23 AM
The laser portion of the board has grown over the last few years, and I'm not sure Keith imagined it would grow to this extent when he first put up the forum. Considering there was a small flurry of Carvewright activity that has pretty much died down (along with the occasional rotary engraving question) says something in its own right... its tough to know the proper place for some posts. Does the Carvewright stuff belong in the woodworking forums or in the "engraving" forums, which if you stop to think about it, has become the "laser" forum almost by default? Does the volume of laser classifieds warrant its own forum? Too few posts and people won't visit enough to make it worthwhile, but we may never build up enough momentum until we separate our stuff from the woodworking tools... there's a question of getting the right amount of momentum at the right time and pace.

Tough call...

Doug Griffith
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
How about making a few simple changes if a separate classifieds are too much work:

1) change "Woodworkers Classifieds" to "Classifieds"
2) move it to the top of the page it resides on
3) put a sticky on the top of each forum that reads "Visit Our Classifieds" with a link

Then newbies will know where to go and oldies will have easy access.

Dave Johnson29
08-24-2009, 11:36 AM
1) change "Woodworkers Classifieds" to "Classifieds"
Then newbies will know where to go and oldies will have easy access.

Doug,

The only problem with that is the sheer number of woodworking ads that get posted. The few engraving ones will be shuffled off the first few pages in half a day.

Already 2/3rds of the ads are dated "Yesterday"

Keith Outten
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
My thoughts:

Originally this Forum was called "Laser Woodworking" and it resides within a woodworkers forum so we need to keep that in mind.

Dan is right, I had no idea that the Laser Forum would ever be this big or this active and I am more than pleased about it.

If I had a laser engraver to sell I would want it to be posted in a place that got the most exposure, many are purchased by woodworkers who are looking to move up to another level adding engraving to their projects.

The Google Bots cruise our Classified Forum almost daily which means your classified ad gets a very large amount of exposure. I have also opened the Classified Forum up so Visitors can see pictures so your ads get even more exposure.

Carvewright threads belong in the CNC Forum not the Laser Engraving Forum.

The Sign Forum is for anyone who makes signs whether they are made by Laser, CNC or manually...the old fasioned way.

I will rename the Classified Forum to "SawMill Creek Classifieds".

There is a "Forum Jump" box at the bottom of every page and you can get to the Classifieds from the drop-down if you like.

For the record I use more Corian these days than any other material. My use of wood has declined through the years, I consider myself a Laser Engraving Woodworker who makes CNC Signs from almost any kind of material...mostly plastic :)

John Noell
08-24-2009, 4:15 PM
I have followed the classified discussion closely and agree that some changes would be really nice. But mostly, I want to say THANK YOU KEITH, for creating this "laser engraver's" forum in the first place. It is a wonderful place that has helped me immensely -- and the fact we can even HAVE this discussion about ads is fantastic.

Steve Clarkson
08-24-2009, 4:30 PM
For the record I use more Corian these days than any other material. My use of wood has declined through the years, I consider myself a Laser Engraving Woodworker who makes CNC Signs from almost any kind of material...mostly plastic :)

Will that all fit on your business card?

Keith Outten
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Since I created the Engravers Forum I have never missed reading a single post here. It's entertaining, informative and always amazing seeing what so many talented people can do with a beam of light.

Steve,

I know my laser engraver can get it all on a card but it might take a magnifying glass to be able to see it :)

Tom Henry
08-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Sorry I stirred up the water with my original thread. I thought it was a really cool medallion and was curious. My bad!! It made my avatar. :D

Mike Null
08-25-2009, 6:55 AM
Tom

All said and done--I like your design.

Dan Hintz
08-25-2009, 7:45 AM
Yes, but the card is now two foot square :)