PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Ideas.

Colin Wollerman
08-23-2009, 2:41 AM
I am just getting started and wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted their ideas and advice about tool sharpening and sharpening tools.

I know I need to get good at keeping my tools sharp before I can really appreciate turning so between the ideas I got here and having a look at the vari grind I came up with this...

Hopefully I have returned a little inspiration now... where is the number of that guy with all the Koa?:rolleyes:
C

Steve Schlumpf
08-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Colin - looks like you have put together a nice little sharpening system! Having a consistent angle on your gouge makes a huge difference as you can just touch up the edge and get back to turning without having to figure out where the new bevel is!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Good looking sharpening system Colin. Sharp tools are a must. Can't wait to see some turnings.

Keith Spaniel
08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Colin, You must be a machinist.. Please ,keep posting the photos, that is some Great work. keith

Jim Underwood
08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Good on you! Well done. You'll not be sorry for the effort. Sharp tools are a must.

Colin Wollerman
08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for he comments. I wouldn't call myself a machinist but I have access to an ol Bridgeport, an even older Atlas metal lathe and and a pretty well stocked scrap bin at work. The delrin is fun to work with and the 80/20 tslot is great for fixture making,

Unfortunately my wood lathe, for now, is an old ShopSmith and I don't even have a chuck yet! I think I can deal with the vibration but the tool rest has got to go!
Face plate and CA glue will work for now but a nova chuck is in my near future.

Thanks again
Colin

Randy Privett
08-23-2009, 1:23 PM
Very nice use of 8020. Good job.:)

Randy

Jim Underwood
08-23-2009, 1:37 PM
You'll soon outgrow that Shopsmith if you keep this up. Scrape together a couple hundred bucks and buy a new or used Jet mini 1014. It's a great starter lathe....

Just sayin';)

Dan Forman
08-23-2009, 1:48 PM
By George, I think he's got it! Great looking solution. Wish I had such a scrap bin to work with.

Dan

Kyle Iwamoto
08-23-2009, 2:26 PM
I'll say that the SS is not a "good" lathe. It's pretty fast, 700 RPM is "slow". Makes turning big bowls "fun". If you're just starting out, I'd stay under 6" to start out..... You can do a LOT with just a spur and a faceplate. Check PSI, they have that odd sized tool rest. Not greatest, but cheap. The tool rest, is pretty versatile, since it has that "extra" arm. PITA to adjust since you need that allen wrench that's always under a pile of shavings.

All kidding aside, actually, the SS is not a bad lathe. It's 16", pretty long, haven't measured it. 1.25 horse. And, if you have the bandsaw, you can band saw your blank and pop it into lathe mode real quick. Bowls are easy, just take off the tailstock and move the head to the end. Hmmm. Just like the Jet and the PM. 30+ year old technology. They sure were ahead of their time.

The Jet is a great little mini. I have both of these... The Jet is a better lathe, but obviously smaller and shorter.

Colin Wollerman
08-23-2009, 8:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, It may sound funny but I plan on out growing the SS. I put my hands on that Jet the other day at woodcraft. I have been told by some turners over here that the small lathes are a good purchase because you can make your investment back pretty quick selling small projects; pens, wine stoppers, etc. That is kinda the cart before the horse in my case but I guess something to think about.
The SS was a impulse purchase. vintage 1950s restoration project. I did not even think about turning until I already had it. Wish now I would have put that $$ toward a better spinner. Oh well, The SS makes a good drill press, disk sander and the horizontal drilling is pretty handy. If I end up with a small or mid size lathe I could have the SS set up with a buffing weel or something...Staying with projects under 8" is probably good advice. I don't really know how much the bearings of that ol beast can handle either. I expect I will find out:o
I am getting a new belt tomorrow and some koa chunks later in the week. I will post my efforts if it is not too embarrassing.
Aloha
C

Kyle Iwamoto
08-25-2009, 4:05 AM
No bandsaw attachment? You should pick one up if you can find one cheap. It's really good for an 11" saw. There's probably no other 11" that has the 1.25 horse motor. I don't know how they track the blade, probably 1950 technology, but with stock blocks (not wasting money on cool blocks for this) and it cuts pretty straight. No drift...... Haven't measured cutting height, but it's quite a bit for a 11". I junked everything for the SS except the lathe parts and the BS. I was even thinking of filling the way tubes with concrete for some weight. Sucks cause there is no dust collection provisions. Unless you count gravity and the open bottom....:rolleyes: I'll need to fab up something.

Dave Schell
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Colin, my jaw dropped when I saw the photos you posted. Amazing! Best rendition of wolverine style sharpener I have ever seen. Wish I had those skills and equipment. Your turning experience is off to a fine start with that kind of sharpening system - good luck!

Colin Wollerman
08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment Dave. It actually works pretty well too. The other wheel, old gray one, I think is producing a little vibration. I tried dressing it but I think the sides are out. Not bad though. Other than that I can't think how I could make it any better.
Picked up the grinder used for $20 and then the white wheel...that is all I have spent! Oh yea, the T dresser. Sill way under 100 bux.

Kyle, I would have to find one locally. Shipping kills out here (Hawaii) Oh, I see you know about that:o, but I will keep an eye out. I am on the other side, Kuliouou Valley...let me know if you come across anything.

Thank again,
C

Colin Wollerman
08-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Just to pass on... I put a link belt (35 links, thanks to bill at the yahoo SS owner group) and it made a noticeable difference in the vibration on my Shop Smith.
While I was picking up the belt I fondled the Jet midi...very nice and what a great price!.
Picking up some koa blanks Monday:)

Thanks again