PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone battery "conditioning"

John Schreiber
08-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I just got a new battery for my 2 1/2 year old cell phone.

On-line there are two opposing kinds of advise. Most common is that a new battery should be charged for 24 hours, then drained all the way, then that cycle should be repeated two to four times.

Other sources say, charge it up for 24 hours, then don't worry about it and there is no such thing as "memory" in a lithium ion battery.

The first piece of advise is repeated most often. The 2nd seems to come from more authoritative sources.

Experts of SawMill Creek, what should I do?

David Christopher
08-22-2009, 11:49 PM
do #2.....

Mike Henderson
08-23-2009, 1:00 AM
Yep, just charge and go.

Mike

David G Baker
08-23-2009, 9:42 AM
John,
I would go with number 2. I am no expert on batteries but I believe that method number 1 was used on nickle cadmium batteries. Lithium ion batteries, from what I have read, do not have the memory issue associated with nicads

Jason Roehl
08-23-2009, 2:11 PM
In 2.5 years, when you need another battery, you're probably going to need another phone, anyway. Either this one will be on its last legs, or the technology may have moved on. I use my phones quite a bit, so I'm on about a 2-year replacement cycle. A couple of times I have purchased new batteries, but I'm going to try to avoid doing that anymore. Sometimes I just renew the contract and get a cheap, free phone, but usually I spend a little and get one with more features. Now that I'm an iPhoner, I can't see going back to just a standard phone--I use the heck out of it, and it's very handy--easy to keep track of customers and potential customers, little notes and reminders, alarms, timers, etc. It really is a PDA, but very easy to use.

Jim Rimmer
08-23-2009, 3:09 PM
+2 on #2 - LIon batteries don't have the memory issue.

Narayan Nayar
08-23-2009, 4:20 PM
Not that you need another vote, but definitely #2.

Battery memory is one of the main reasons I haven't bought a cordless tool with a Ni-Cd battery in, oh, the last 10 years or so.

Ni-MH and Li-On batteries are much better when it comes to a number of things, including delivering constant power until needing a recharge.

Steve knight
08-23-2009, 4:22 PM
yes but the 24 hours is bull too. once the batterry reaches the right voltage the charge is cut off. it may take a few charges to reach full capacity. but leaving it 24 hours will only make it so you can't use your phone for that time. the same thign with draining once the battery reaches a certain level the power is cut and your phone turns off. then it would need to sit for weeks to drain any further and mes up the battery.

John Schreiber
08-23-2009, 9:03 PM
Thanks all.

It's unplugged and in use right now.