PDA

View Full Version : dust collection on older PC Omnijig

Robert Reece
08-22-2009, 9:48 PM
I have an older PC Omnijig for dovetails that I have never used (it was basically given to me). I hauled it out today and cleaned it off and got to making some test pieces. I spent a whooping 7 hours fooling around with this thing today and finally got a cut that I would call minimally acceptable (I was only using one router, so lots of bit changing).

One thing is for sure though, I was quickly wanting dust collection on this thing.

As I see it I have three options-
1. Make a new router baseplate that has dust collection built into it. This should be fairly easy since all the chips eject directly out towards the user. This would hook up to my shop vac with the standard 2" hose (or whatever they are). The advantage to this approach is it's fairly cheap and quick to implement.

2. Build a shroud around the Omnijig and hook it to my Clearvue cyclone. I would hook it up with a full 6" drop and it would create a real windstorm coming down through the jig. I think it would work ok. The advantage to this approach is that I get a support bar for the router, much like the Leigh D4R with the VRS attachement. The downside is that it could be complicated to design so that it doesn't impede functioning of the machine.

3. Bail on the Omnijig and get an Akeda or Leigh D4R. I have no money in the Omnijig so it's not like I'm throwing money away. I could get a few bucks out of the Omnijig, get something that meets my needs out of the box and then get on with the kitchen project instead of doing more meta-woodworking.

Input appreciated.

Chip Lindley
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
2. Build a shroud around the Omnijig and hook it to my Clearvue cyclone. I would hook it up with a full 6" drop and it would create a real windstorm coming down through the jig. I think it would work ok. The advantage to this approach is that I get a support bar for the router, much like the Leigh D4R with the VRS attachement. The downside is that it could be complicated to design so that it doesn't impede functioning of the machine.
Input appreciated.

Hi Robert! Dust Collection IS an issue with almost any dovetail jig. Even my older Leigh D4! Your older OmniJig is built like a tank, and creates very decent half-blind dovetails. The heavy duty clamping system is really superior! I just UP-graded to a 16" cast iron Omni to dovetail cabinet drawer corners only. It's quite a step up from the old plastic Craftsman I've used just for this purpose.

A narrow-depth, but full-width bin in front of the jig would deflect debris away from you, and down toward a DC connection. The Omni is bolted to any flat surface, so I see no reason why the jig AND DC collection could not be made into a unit that could be held in a large woodworking vice at the bench edge; removed when not in use.

Take a look at how the newer Leighs, Omnis or Akedas approach chip collection. It's a relative no-brainer!