PDA

View Full Version : Ash Bowl

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-09-2004, 8:28 PM
My latest turning from some Ash that we recently took down at the College. This was a little green yet, so the bowl has moved slightly, but not too bad no be very noticable. I was hoping for some movement........I wanted a slighly out of round look to compliment the grain orientation. Sanded to 600, with a couple of Watco Oil soakings. It is baby smooth, but I still may wet sand it with 600, or maybe 1000 to get a little sheen. I don't want the Beall buffed look on this one, just as natural as I can get, with a little shine. The bowl is 10 1/2" x 3 1/2". What a blast to turn Ash..........it turns and sands like a dream..............NICE stuff to work with! Thanks for taking a look! :)

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 8:30 PM
VERY attractive, Kevin. I like this one a lot, especially the great contrast between the heart and sap. Bravo!

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 8:42 PM
Maybe I need to start checking the 3 local colleges and see if I can cut down a few of their trees.!!!! :eek: :D

Kevin.....very nice!! Super looking bowl and I have to agree with Jim that the contrast of the colors really set this one off. Well done my friend. Very well done indeed.!!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-09-2004, 9:14 PM
Now Dennis, don't go cutting down trees at the local College Campus. It is dangerous to be using a Chainsaw at night! :eek:

Not to fret buddy....................I have some Ash for you too..........among other goodies. You're gonna like turning it.........the end result is nice. That ought to put "Big Yeller" to good use. ;)

Joe Mioux
09-09-2004, 9:21 PM
hey kevin

the bowl looks really nice

joe

Dick Parr
09-09-2004, 9:46 PM
Great looking bowl Kevin, you out did yourself again. :D

Greg Heppeard
09-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Nice bowl, Kevin. I like the contrast and figure of the wood. The taper to the sides show the wood off well.

Mark Singer
09-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Kevin,
Nice very simple and nice

Brad Schmid
09-10-2004, 8:32 AM
Nice work Kevin. I like the soft roll to the inner rim. I think it lends a flowing effect toward the center. The overall form is very appealing. Good job!

Brad