PDA

View Full Version : The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat

Jason Clark2
08-22-2009, 3:43 PM
I spent about an hour each of the last 3 nights in the shop working on a Quaking Aspen hollow form. Finalizing the outside shape last night I heard the unmistakable sound of the outside suddenly becoming smaller than the inside. #@$)%(!

Not one to give up easily I mounted the other half of the same log and went to work. As luck wold have it the other half was a better piece of wood with a nice pink/purple streak, a couple of knots framing the opening, and a a couple of areas with some nice tight curl. The final piece turned out pretty much how I had imagined it.

5 1/4" X 9 1/2"
Quaking Aspen
Turquoise inlay
1 1/8" opening.

Comment/critiques welcome.

Thanks,
Jason

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2009, 4:36 PM
Jason - EXCELLENT! Beautiful wood - great form! Well worth the effort! Sorry about the first one as it would have been a wonderful thing to have a pair of these! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Alan Tolchinsky
08-22-2009, 4:52 PM
Nothing like hanging in there and not giving up. Beautiful piece!

Skip Spaulding
08-22-2009, 5:41 PM
Jason, don't you just love it when what you imagine and what you end up with are real close! Very nice piece well done. I just wish my imagination was half as good as yours;) Again, nice work.

Ken Glass
08-22-2009, 5:48 PM
Jason,
The form on both were excellent. Sorry you ran out of wood on the first one. It happens to most of us at one point or another. The color on the second one is very striking. What finish are you going to use on it, or is it done as is?

Tom Henry
08-22-2009, 6:50 PM
Nice piece...

Bill Bolen
08-22-2009, 7:14 PM
Sorry about the oops! Looks like the new one is going to be a beaut!...Bill..

curtis rosche
08-22-2009, 8:36 PM
if you still have the oops peice, you could use it as a peirced peice

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Great looking piece Jason. Way to keep at it.

Chris Rae
08-23-2009, 1:53 AM
Beautiful piece, great form and great wood! Sorry about the first one, I know how that feels.

Chris Hayes
08-23-2009, 7:46 AM
I've lost count of how many pieces I've toasted because of thinking I was someplace I wasn't in the wood. However, the second piece looks fantastic. Good going.

Jeff Nicol
08-23-2009, 9:37 AM
Jason, When the sound of the tool going through the side wall happens ones heart sinks! I have one that I was working on that I did the same thing to and it sits on a shelf in our kitchen! My wife just loves how when it continued to dry it scrunched up at the point where I broke through and the HF looked to cool to toss in the fire so she kept it! You did a fine job on both and the nice traditional shape works well whith the natural character in the wood.

One more oops, but not the last!

Thanks,

Jeff

Jerry Rhoads
08-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice piece Jason, I like it a lot.

Jerry