PDA

View Full Version : planes....

Tim Cottle
08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
not, not airplanes..
I am going to check out this place (http://www.jonesport-wood.com/hullscove.html) in hopes in getting a plane or 2 at a reasonable price for just starting out.
I am just getting into wood working, and want to try the hand planing route before I go and buy a planer with a tail.
What number/type would I look for to do that type of planing, I already have a decent jointer, so that area is taken care of for now, but I am ineterested in learning some of the "old ways".
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

Dewald van Lamp
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I would advise caution...

Read up first on this subject before you plunge into the abyss..!

Christopher Schwarz's "Handplane Essentials" is hot off the presses now.

I wish I had it four years ago..!

No affiliation, just got my copy today...

:)

Tim Cottle
08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I will take a look at that.
Thanks

Dewald van Lamp
08-22-2009, 12:12 PM
You are welcome..!

Thanks for the link.

I'll be visiting Maine next summer on holiday and will just have to get a look at that place..!

Going down.........!

Tim Cottle
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
If you go to the website, they have 3 places going down the coast, and I will try to hit them all up in the next month or 2, looks like it could be a goldmine, they do have an ebay store, but I do not know enough about the pricing on those items to know if they are reasonable or not.

Dewald van Lamp
08-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I saw that..!

Cool..!

Hence, my word of caution!

You MUST have a basic knowledge of handplanes before you commit to a plane. It depends a lot on what type of ww you do as well.

This forum, and others, are a wealth of information if you are just starting out. Do not buy a plane for the next two months, instead read the threads on these forums and buy a few good handbooks. You will find out which planes suit your needs by reading the forums. You will save quite a bit of money, BELIEVE me!

:o

Jim Koepke
08-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Tim,
Welcome to the Creek and the slippery slope of plane affection.

Dewald has given some good solid advice. Look at the top of the conference for the "stickey" Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs. There is information from a lot of us in there.

For pricing, eBay completed sales is one indicator of what people are paying for tools. Quality and age do influence prices. Then there are times when it seems like people get into a bidding frenzy.

Good luck and happy hunting.

jim

John Keeton
08-22-2009, 1:03 PM
And, most importantly Tim, be cautious of ol' Jim Koepke!! He has lured many down the slippery slope of old planes. Affectionately referred to in some circles as the "Pied Piper of Planes." :D:D:D But, a great source of knowledge and info on this topic.

Take it from one of his recent, but admiring victims!!

Jim Koepke
08-22-2009, 1:24 PM
And, most importantly Tim, be cautious of ol' Jim Koepke!! He has lured many down the slippery slope of old planes. Affectionately referred to in some circles as the "Pied Piper of Planes." :D:D:D But, a great source of knowledge and info on this topic.

Take it from one of his recent, but admiring victims!!

But, but it isn't the planes I love so much. It is those beautiful curly shavings they make. :cool:

jim

Bill Houghton
08-22-2009, 1:41 PM
Your library may have "The Hand Plane Book" by Garret Hack - a good survey. Less likely to be in your library is "Planecraft," available for about $12 from Woodcraft (local stores and online), an excellent introduction to how to use them.

In general, go to your local library and check out every book that looks like it has some hand tool potential - there are lots of candidates. Read them all; get confused, because different authors have different approaches; recognize that there is no one solution, and be comforted; and so on.

A useful but somewhat collector-oriented guide to Stanley planes is online at Patrick Leach's "Blood and Gore" (google that phrase). This is less useful for actual using, more useful to learn how to tell what kind of shape a plane is in, although if you're buying from a reputable dealer at first, that's less of an issue.

Tim Cottle
08-22-2009, 2:31 PM
Thanks for all of the insight guys.
I guess I was jumping in a little bit faster than I should.
I see videos online of all of the "curly shavings" and think to myself, 'wow, I would love to be able to do that.'
And I apologize for not "rtfm"
I should have looked more closely at the FAQ.

Dewald van Lamp
08-22-2009, 2:55 PM
No prob..!

I guess we all did that..!

LOL!

Dusty Fuller
08-22-2009, 3:43 PM
Those tool houses are a great place to get lost, and also a place to find a great deal of stuff that I can't easily find here in Georgia. My wife and I went to that area of Maine for our honeymoon a couple of years ago. Just make sure you have room to carry a bunch of stuff home.....

Bill White
08-22-2009, 4:03 PM
My first buy was a Stanley #4C. I have added a bunch since. I found the #4 a great platform for learning how to "tune" a plane. A good user plane is a joy to use, and you will find that there are those who will
spend bloody fortunes to achieve the same resultsthat a well tuned, old Stanley can deliver.
My bride found a well preserved set of "woodies" that have also been a great addition to the collection.
Be afraid. BE VERY AFRAID. :eek: You are about to enter the unending chasm of classical tooling.
Bill

phil harold
08-22-2009, 4:47 PM
there is a nice one for sale in SMC Woodworkers Classifieds
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=125746&d=1250717054

of course the price he is asking you could buy a nice planer with a tail...
;)

Tim Cottle
08-22-2009, 4:56 PM
Those tool houses are a great place to get lost, and also a place to find a great deal of stuff that I can't easily find here in Georgia. My wife and I went to that area of Maine for our honeymoon a couple of years ago. Just make sure you have room to carry a bunch of stuff home.....
I will bring the truck :D

Jeff Skory
08-22-2009, 6:48 PM
I see videos online of all of the "curly shavings" and think to myself, 'wow, I would love to be able to do that.'

And you will!! It's a mesmerizing experience that leads you to shave away on a piece of wood for no good reason other than to create a gigantic pile of shavings. (not that I would know first hand....:rolleyes:)

Looks like a really fun place to visit. Have fun.