PDA

View Full Version : Hand saw question

Gerald Simmons
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Hello everyone! I am fairly new to the "Neanderthal" world, but I am seeking to scale back on my power tool usage by slowly (HA!) moving into the realm of hand tools. I already have several planes (Stanley #'s 4 & 5, and a Union #7) and I am now looking at hand saws. I know Disston is everyone's favorite, but I have noticed a number of other American makes on E-bay, such as Pennsylvania, Superior, and Atkins. How do these brands compare quality wise? I do not want to spend a fortune on collectors items, I just want a good stable of solid users. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Gerald.

Casey Gooding
08-22-2009, 3:54 PM
Generally, you won't go wrong with Disston saws. In fact, they made many of the other brands of American saws you will find.
http://www.vintagesaws.com/index.htm
This site will give you some good information.

Bill White
08-22-2009, 4:12 PM
I have found very little info about brands other than Disstons. I have Butchers and a Bay State #7 that have served me very well. Wish I could find more info abt them. :confused:
Bill

Phillip Pattee
08-22-2009, 5:16 PM
Here are three places to go look for info on American made saws.

http://www.mvr1.com/atkinssaws.html has info on Atkins saws

http://www.geocities.com/sawnutz/simonds/handsaws.htm for info on Simonds saws

These were both makers of quality saws.

The Disstonian Institute is a great resource to find out about all things Disston

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Beware, this slope is just as slippery as the handplane slope.:eek:

Gerald Simmons
08-22-2009, 6:18 PM
Thanks everyone. After thinking it over a while, I may try to stick with one manufacturer (such as Disston) to get everything I need. That would make a nice collection to pass down to my grandchildren one day! Since I have started down this winding hand tool path my wife now looks at me a little differently. Whenever she catches me on the computer late at night she automatically asks with a great deal of suspicion, "are you buying something else?" Honestly though, I am beginning to realize that I enjoy restoring the old tools almost as much as using them!!

jerry nazard
08-22-2009, 8:06 PM
Honestly though, I am beginning to realize that I enjoy restoring the old tools almost as much as using them!!

Yes. A truly noble calling.
Slippery.
But noble....

Richard Niemiec
08-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Older Disstons, and you can't go wrong with Atkins either.

Jim Koepke
08-22-2009, 10:48 PM
This is just my opinion, but I would suggest you buy a few cheap what ever brand saw and use them to learn saw sharpening. Most saws can be made to cut well once one learns a little about sharpening. Then, when your sharpening skills develop, buy a good Disston and rehab with confidence.

jim

Greg Crawford
08-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I have several Disstons and Atkins. I like the Atkins a little better, but that may be because they're a touch sharper. I'm still working on my sharpening skills, so my opinion may change over time. I still agree with others that you can't go wrong with Disston. Atkins, Simonds and Keen Kutter all made good saws too.

Most of these companies made saws that got cheaper toward the middle of the 20th century. I have some Disston and Atkins saws that are simply plate saws (not taper ground). The handles also changed over the years, to being less ornate and then with less rounding so less comfortable. Some even went to plastic. I have a Disston D-95 with a bakelite (spelling?) handle that has a good, taper-ground blade that was finished better than any other saw I've seen. That one is an excellent saw IMHO. I also have a plastic handled Disston CH-II that looks to be from the early 60's. It's not much of a saw.

All this is to say, look at the info at the Disstonian Institute to get a good feel for what was Disston's better saws, how to ID the older saws, and just dive in! Getting saws that are straight, sharp and properly breasted will cost more, but if you don't want to do the work, they're worth the price.

Of course, then you'll have to get a saw vise, saw set (Stanley 42X being the best ever made according to popular opinion) and tons of files for sharpening. If you get any bent saws, you'll also need an anvil and some hammers to straighten them, if you are so inclined. Tutorials for sharpening and straightening are readily available on SMC or other web sites.

It's really not a slippery slope if each tool fills a need, is it? All of my 30+ hand saws fit for specific needs, as do my 20+ planes, 6 braces, etc.

Gerald Simmons
08-23-2009, 4:30 PM
I'm definitely catching on that the older Disstons are better saws than the mid-century models. Even I can see the differences in the handles and overall quality. I just bought a saw set (Stanley 42) and am in the process of searching for files and I plan to build a Bob Smalser type saw vise. I was given an old Superior Warranted 8tpi rip saw, and I will try practicing on that. Thanks for all the advice guys. It is so nice to be able to learn from someone else's experience! It is a lot less painful that way!!!