PDA

View Full Version : I had an idea

ROY DICK
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
With a Homer Simpson DOH :(.
I got some 2 x 12 from a home builder in the area.
I thought I would turn this, sand to 120 and then wire brush. Then take it outside and burn it some what. Then wipe off the bowl with a rag to lighten it up. Then put a finish on it.
As you can see I didn't make it that far.
When it blew I heard it wiz buy my head. It reminded me of the bullets when I was in Viet Nam ( 68-69). Oh well no harm no foul.
I had a face sheild on.

Chris Rae
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm glad you're okay!!!

Steve Schlumpf
08-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Glad you weren't hurt! That could have ruined your whole day!

Mike Minto
08-22-2009, 12:03 PM
musta been spinnin' kinda fast. what kind of tool is that on the lathe? looks like a spindlemaster - or is it a scraper? mike :confused: (ps, glad you still have your head!)

Rob Cunningham
08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Glad it wizzed by and didn't take any divots from your head.

Scott Hackler
08-22-2009, 1:20 PM
That looks to be a Sorby extra HD bowl scraper. I have one as well and it is awesome. Its also a monster. Looks like a giant butter knife!

As a related note, my only UFO happened during the use of this particular tool. A catch with it is a BAD catch, expecially with dry wood. It works great on the inside of green bowls.

ROY DICK
08-22-2009, 2:25 PM
Thanks everyone.

Mike, it is was Scott said. I was turnig about 450 rpm.
You don't want to know my wife said about my idea. :eek:

Roy

Alan Tolchinsky
08-22-2009, 3:13 PM
Glad you're o.k. Don't ever give up "trying" things. Just be as safe as you can. I like to wear as much protective stuff as my body will take when I do "off the wall" stuff.

Skip Spaulding
08-22-2009, 6:07 PM
Glad your ok Roy, my wife says I should wear my old hockey equipment! Probably the helmet and face guard wouldn't be a bad idea!
Seems like most of my mistakes come off at 90 degrees to the headstock so I try not to get in line of fire but some times it's hard not to. The ricochet is hard to anticipate, got a cellar window last session.

phil harold
08-22-2009, 8:36 PM
just remember to keep a thick layer of curls on your floor
just in case you get hit in the head and knocks you out cold,
you will have a soft landing :D

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Glad you are ok and it missed.

Yep Roy your wife probably said the same thing mine would have.:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:;)