PDA

View Full Version : Coolibah??

Brent Smith
08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Can anyone give me some feedback on turning this wood? Bowls, spindles whatever. My local supplier has a few good sized pieces I was looking at this morning.

Harvey Mushman
08-22-2009, 7:58 PM
Coolibah is typical Aussie Burl......Very hard and very beautiful. Keep your tools sharp. It has a tendency to form hairline cracks vertically from the eyes of the burl, if the burl is still fairly green....Nothing bad though. Coolibah behaves in a similar manner as Red Mallee......Try it! You'll like it!

Brent Smith
08-22-2009, 9:59 PM
Thanks Harvey. I ended up going back and buying the 4 pieces they had.

Bernie Weishapl
08-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Harvey pretty much said it. I will say again sharp tools are a must.

Pat Keefe
08-23-2009, 1:41 AM
Sharp tools, good dust extraction, good reflex's and ability to compromise on your design mid turn. Finish with oil, keep lint, brushes and fingernails away from the piece. I learned to turn on burl, especially Coolibah.

The first photo is a very basic bowl out of Coolibah, very plain to me now. The next are of a lidded box out of Coolibah Burl. The Light is Jarrah Burl and the large bowl is also Jarrah Burl ( I named the bowl Fear & Loathing). I have hand carved Brown Mallee Burl and that is just plain old hard work, but the smiles from MBGitW and my friends when I give them the item as a present are worth all the Blood, sweat and blue language:)

Give the Coolibah ago, I have heard it previously described as easier to turn Concrete then to turn some of Australia's hardwoods, but it is what you are used to.