PDA

View Full Version : Info, New Hand Tool SIG KC area

harry strasil
08-22-2009, 10:17 AM
The second meeting of the Kansas City Woodworking Guilds New Hand Tool SIG will be at the Guild Shop Sunday afternoon from 2 to 3:30, Bench and Block Planes, use and reconditioning will be the subject.

http://www.kcwoodworkersguild.org/index.html

harry strasil
08-26-2009, 5:22 PM
There were 20 in attendance at the meeting.

jerry nazard
08-26-2009, 6:50 PM
Jr.,

Thanks for posting the link to KC Woodworker's Guild. I enjoyed both the website and newsletter.

-Jerry

Chuck Saunders
08-26-2009, 8:04 PM
It was very good to meet you at the meeting Jr. I am still impressed by your frame saw. I hope you will bring more from your demo kit.

harry strasil
08-26-2009, 8:06 PM
that saw wasn't from my demo tools, that was from my basement shop user tools.

Jason Weaver
08-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Hello Jr.

I was sorry to have missed the SIG meeting Sunday, and now that I know that I could have finally met you in person I am really bummed!

I finally made it to the KCWG meeting last Wednesday night, and was really looking forward to the SIG gathering. Unfortunately, the only thing standing between me and that shop was a research paper that had to be finished for Monday. It was like pulling teeth getting that paper finished up, so I will have to wait until next month.

Bill Johnston talked with me briefly about the plane event, and I was so excited to come I went out and bought my first two LN planes -- the 4 1/2 and the 5 1/2. They didn't have an 8 in stock, so I will order that directly from LN in a month or so.

I would still love to come up your way sometime soon! Maybe we could work out something in a few weeks when I have a break between classes.

harry strasil
08-27-2009, 5:27 PM
First Saturday in October I well be demoeing at the Brown County Ag Museum in Hiawatha, Kans. FWIW

Mike Brady
08-27-2009, 5:37 PM
Harry, best wishes for your new hand tool SIG. I got one going about a year ago at our club and it has grown steadily. We even had to calm the waters at one point because the club board was worried that the special interest groups might be a distraction.
We have found a large shop we can use at a local retirement community and we did tool restoration as our first hands-on session. Our monthly meetings are the hour before the regular general club meeting, but wwe can't make any mess since we meeti in a church fellowship hall. We usually bring tools and talk about them or have someone do a short presentation. We have a ShopSmith SIG as well. Here is the link for any of you who might be in Chicago the first Tuesday of each month:
http://www.fvwwc.org/ You are welcome to visit.