PDA

View Full Version : The word is FINAL on the knife box project.

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 7:03 PM
Well,

I have things settled down a bit now here at work.
The knife box is G O N E ! ! ! ! ! ! :eek: :D :D

He liked the box and loved the hinges. He also liked the quality of work that I did on the box......HOWEVER....he was not thrilled with the quality of work I did on the "inside" of the box for the cut-outs for the tubes in the box. He said that if he had to grade my work, it would be a "B"...based on the cuts I made inside the box halves.

<b>He said</b>, "Next time don't use an X-Y table on your drill press to make those cuts." :confused: <b>and "I" said,</b> I didn't.....I cut those free hand and by hand with the help of a router and small bit. :eek: <b>and then he said,</b> OH!!!! In that case...you get an "A". Pretty good cutting by hand in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Little did I know that the "other" guy in his truck was ANOTHER custom knife maker that was "eye-balling" by freshly made box. He like it as well and wondered if I could make HIM a could of boxes for his knives? :eek:

Well....little known to me....that I had 40% of the nations Master Bladesmith's in my driveway today!!!! All 2 of them. There are a total of 5 recognized Master Bladesmith's in the U.S. today and two of them live less than 1 hour from me.

In short, they BOTH want me to make boxes for them for a custom knife show coming in October.!!!! :eek:

I'll post the final pics after I get home from work tonight.

WHEW!!!!!! It's over and I KNOW what to expect from both of these buys. I broke even on this as we had agreed on a price and I stuck to it. I hate to be quoted one price and then get charged another price.!! Ron told me that the next time, price my work to make it worth my while so he can help me pay for a Pantograph machine to improve and speed up my box making abilities.

<b>I get to S L E E P tonight!!!!!!</b>

Scott Coffelt
09-09-2004, 7:11 PM
Sounds great, too bad about the margins, but it also sounds like they realize the value of the work. Especially knowing what they do and that they don't expect you to charge the same next time. Positive thing is this time was a learning experience and next to can be made more efficient. Personally, I think the biggest challenge will be locating the lumber choices and quality. Nothing against Curly, but given time and personal inspection you'll probably have a better selection for your needs. If it really starts to pan out you can start to build a stock supply and maybe get some quantity discounts.

Have a beer and butt-time on a recliner.

Jack Diemer
09-09-2004, 7:13 PM
PICS, PICS, PICS we want PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, just add a zero onto the price for the next box :D :D :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-09-2004, 7:14 PM
WOOOOOWEEEEEEE! That is GREAT news Dennis. But, I just knew that, unless the knifemaker was totally unreasonable, he would love the box that you built. Where else are these guys gonna find someone that would pour his heart and soul into a project like you did? Not many places, IMO. Now, you and THEY know what to expect, and you can price your work accordingly. If you aren't too busy at work, I may give you a holler later so we can talk it over.............I am dying to hear all the details! :D

Dennis, perhaps the only one happier for you besides yourself is me. Get some rest buddy................we have "stuff" to do next weekend! :D

Again................CONGRATULATIONS DENNIS!!!!!

You truly deserve a BIG hand for this project! :)

Tom Sweeney
09-09-2004, 7:14 PM
Way to go Dennis. You can't imagine how happy I am for you. :D :cool:

Man that was a tough one but you came through like a champ.

I TOLD YOU SO :p

I agree 100% with you about sticking to your qouted price, that's what I do with my web sites also, just make sure next time you charge enough to make it worth while - sounds like the guy understands that. And also make sure he / they give you enough time for the project at hand, without killing yourself.

Just curious, did you happen to show him the wooden hinges? I'm wondering if seeing them in person he might have changed his mind as to liking them.

Now go get some sleep!

Hey how bout that Kevin, great minds think alike eh? ;) we both posted at the same time - + the others within a few minutes of Dennis' posting - you don't think we were too interested in the outcome do you :D

Tyler Howell
09-09-2004, 7:20 PM
I'm reserving judgement till I see some Pix.....After all they are artists what do they know?:p :p

Congrats buddy, Get some rest you've earned it.;)

Chris Padilla
09-09-2004, 7:36 PM
PICS, PICS, PICS we want PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, just add a zero onto the price for the next box :D :D :D
I'll reserve any excitement unitl I see pics but taking Jack's advice, be sure and add the zero BEFORE the decimal and not after.... ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 8:38 PM
Thanks Guys.....But if you read my earlier post in this thread....PICS will be AFTER I get home tonight, which will be after midnight Central time, so you Left-Coasters (Chris) can see the pics before you go to bed.! ;) Unless you are early to bed that is!!!! :p

The only problem I see to this? The next show and when the knives will be ready is only a ONE WEEK span!!!!! :eek: :eek:

We are already talking about a generic "outside" box that I will be able to make AHEAD of time and simply make a custom "insert" for each specific knife. I'll find out what magazine this is supposed to go in to. Maybe I'll know more about that next week.

Thanks to all of you and many more for your moral support, cheering, hopes and prayers. They are all definately GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! :D

Tom Sweeney
09-09-2004, 8:42 PM
All you need to do is buy a CNC router or even an overhead pin router between now & then and you should be able to knock those boxes out easy in a week :eek: :p :D

Wes Bischel
09-09-2004, 8:48 PM
Pleasant dreams Dennis - you earned them.

Wes

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 9:10 PM
All you need to do is buy a CNC router or even an overhead pin router between now & then and you should be able to knock those boxes out easy in a week :eek: :p :D

Tom,

I would...but.....I would have to have someone willing to invest in this so I could afford to get setup for this.!!! Got a few GRAND you can part with? :rolleyes: :p

Dennis Peacock
09-09-2004, 9:11 PM
Kevin,

Just call me between 9PM and 10PM.....things here at work should be slow enough then to have talk time.!! ;)

Joe Mioux
09-09-2004, 9:30 PM
dennis

ditto what everyone else said. you did good.

best regards
joe

Dick Parr
09-09-2004, 9:36 PM
Great Job Dennis, can't wait to see the pictures.

Jerry Olexa
09-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Dennis your hard work paid off. They recognized your excellent work and they are professionals as you are.. Great work..Try to tactfully raise the price for the next one!! Be proud...

Mark Singer
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Dennis,
Can't wait to see the pics....things always take longer...I don't know why? Your explination of the project to SMC probably slowed you down a bit ...we are glad you did it!

Ernie Kuhn
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! Of course you pulled it off! And congratulations with having another customer 'in the wings'.

You're not going to have time to do any other work.
Like everyone else, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

Ernie