PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Resaw King Blade Problem

Larry Nagel
08-22-2009, 9:31 AM
Hi Guys,
I am having trouble with my Laguna 14" bandsaw using their 1" resaw king blades. I have one 1" resaw King blade that works great. The other two 1" resaw king blades I cannot get to resaw properly. Been back and forth with Laguna and they are not giving me any real help. I have tried every which way to get the drift right and it just won't work. On resawing at the very beginning the cut is thinner and then it tapers out a bit. Changing the fence doesn't really have any effect. Going crazy trying to figure it out. These are the only blades that are giving me trouble. They even sent me different blades and I am having the same result.
I have checked all the settings and they are fine.
I have Mark Duginske's DVD and book on bandsaws and have not figured it out yet. Does anyone know Mark's email address so I might correspond with him?
Thanks for any input.

Myk Rian
08-22-2009, 9:48 AM
Try a 1/2" blade.

Ted Calver
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Isn't that an awfully big blade for a 14" saw? Can you tension it properly?

Danny Burns
08-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi Guys,
I have one 1" resaw King blade that works great.
Interesting.

The other two 1" resaw king blades I cannot get to resaw properly. ...
On resawing at the very beginning the cut is thinner and then it tapers out a bit.

How are you tensioning your blades?
It could be that these other blades never reached full tension.
Just setting the new blades to the old setting is assuming that they are the same, perhaps they need to go higher on the tension to perform.

Changing the fence doesn't really have any effect. Going crazy trying to figure it out. These are the only blades that are giving me trouble.
If the 1 blade worked, then your saw has to be alright as far as fence and wheels being aligned right.

They even sent me different blades and I am having the same result.
Don't underestimate the ability for modern mechanized machinery to perform a flawed task over and over again.
Ask laguna rep to try the blade first on their own 14" saw before sending it to you. Yes it involves a bit of work but it's that extra mile that means a lot to the customer.
Also ask them what tension they used. I wonder if you are the only person out there that is experiencing these problems?

I have checked all the settings and they are fine.
I have Mark Duginske's DVD and book on bandsaws and have not figured it out yet. Does anyone know Mark's email address so I might correspond with him?
Thanks for any input.
If you could not get any of the blades to work then I would be looking at the machine itself, but you had 1 blade work well, so IF the only thing that has changed is that you are trying a new blade, that is the same as the 1 that worked, then the problem is in the blade. Mark can't help you with a problem that seems to be with Laguna.

I give my blades a few more turns if the wood is hard vs. soft, so you may have had the other blade working right with a softwood and are now trying a hardwood. Has the wood changed. Is it squared true and flat before resawing? A little off on 90 degrees, or out of parallelism can lead to big problems when resawing. Check the fence with a square incase the metal has moved some. I had a fence do this on me with the result that the last part of the cut got thicker. All due to the fence changing.

The only other things that come to mind is the possibility that something broke or changed on your saw in between blades. Doubt that, but have a good look-see. If the tension spring is going or developing a crack then tension would be a concern.

Another possibilty is that the blades are not equally sharp, but that should produce a predictable drift pattern.

Since the error seems to be consistently the same cut pattern, then the source of the problem has to be the same.
Operator failure?
Saw failure?
Blade failure?

Try other brands of blades and see if they work well.

Hope this helps and that you get things worked out to your satisfaction.