PDA

View Full Version : Photos

Kevin Baker
08-22-2009, 9:13 AM
Hi Everyone -

I have the 1-Touch software and have been pretty busy engraving photos onto acrylic sheets for family & friends. I'm looking for either software or steps to do the following on a photo after I scan it in.

Crop into an oval - with a transparent background
Fade in the edges

I have Corel Photo-Paint, but the crop tool only does squares, not circles and there's no fading tool.

Thanks,
Kevin

Dan Hintz
08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure what's available in Photo-Paint, but what you need is a transparency layer, black background with a white oval on it... use the Gaussian blue tool to feather the edge, then add the two.

Steven Wallace
08-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Kevin are you looking to do a vignette style photo similar to the one posted below?

Kevin Baker
08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes... but with a transparent background. I ran the pic above through the 1-touch and get the attached result.

Steven Wallace
08-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Try the other picture and see what you get.

Kevin Baker
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Steve -

I get the same results

Steven Wallace
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Here are the steps I used to get the vignette look. I am using photo-paint x3.
Load your image. then:
From the menu bar select:
"Object" > "Create" > "From Background"
From the tool bar (left side of screen) select:
the Mask tool (second from the top)
use the appropriate tool and draw a circle around your objects to keep.
Next you will need to mask the object:right click on the object and select:
"Mask Outline" > "Feather" make your settings selection.
Crop the item: Right click on the background (area to be removed and select:
"Crop to mask"
Under the the Image pull down there is a "Create Background" but that only allows you to change colors. I usually switch between black and white depending on the substrate I am using. White inverts black and will engrave, Black inverts white and will not engrave. I think that after the steps up to Crop to Mask, will leave a transparent background.
To finish Go back to the Object pull down and select:
"Clip Mask" > "Create" > "From Mask"

That is how I got what you see.

Kevin Baker
08-23-2009, 7:32 AM
Steven -

Thanks for the step by step... I follow along up until I have to draw the circle around my object... I have X4 and I only get one shot at this, once I draw my circle, I have to get it right or do the ctrl-z and try again.

I also have trouble finding the "crop to mask"

Thanks for the help.. I'll continue to play with these steps and I'm sure the process will hit me.

Thanks brother-
Kevin

Eric Seest
08-23-2009, 3:49 PM
Kevin in 1 touch crop the picture and the back ground will go away, do this before applying the filter. You may have to adjust the size of the crop to get it to fit correctly but that should fix your problem.

Tim Bateson
08-23-2009, 7:13 PM
Would it help to invert the image prior using the vignette tool?

Dan Hintz
08-23-2009, 7:15 PM
I have X4 and I only get one shot at this, once I draw my circle, I have to get it right or do the ctrl-z and try again
Does Photo Paint have layers? If so, use 'em...